Aligarh rose spring 2025 from @An Najwa is getting my attention at the moment. Very nice full saturated clean smelling rose, somewhere in between citrusy and geranium like which is something I really appreciate.

Clean rose, no noticeable "deg note" (something I've smelled in distilled attars that I am convinced reflects some kind of seasoning of the copper from all of the different oils going through). Beautiful mid tones, nothing weird or fermented or off in this one, a nice select specimen.

It has a top note presence and engaging tartness that reminds me a bit of an oil of Rosa indica that I've got here, but it is Rosa damascena.

IMG_6089.webp
 
Last edited:
Alhamdulilah this is my first Ramadan after becoming an all-out ouddict. Wearing beautiful fragrances to Taraweeh adds to the experience, and I hope that the people around me enjoy it as much as I do😅

First night: ASO Layl + Al Ghaliya perfume

Second night: ASO Zabad paste + Ishraq

Third night: Mesoud Musk/Amber/Rose Attar + ASO The Summit

Tonight: ASO Zumurrud + The Summit
MashaAllah TabarakAllah you the amir of good smells at your Masjid, can't no body compete with you
 
Samples from @Oudique arrived! Frankincense, oud, betel nut, and some spray perfumes. Looking forward to spending some time with these!
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Elixir Attar - Ballad Irone: Apres Le Soir - To cap off a great 24 hours of beautiful scents is perhaps the best of all - I have tried many Iris scents over the years - from awful headache inducing synthetics that smell of anything from cheap lipstick to plug in floral air fresheners to high end artisanal compositions where the Iris tends to get muddled with other notes (fruit, oud, florals - you name it) - this seems to finally be a masterful crazily high quality composition that in my mind's eye at least simply celebrates what I believe Iris to be. Whatever the case - this is quite simply one of the best celebrations of a raw material I have come across. I know there is also a sprayable perfume - but I almost don't want to try it - the Attar/ Oil is just so good. Wow.
 
yesterday I was checking out two interesting frankincense oils from @Oudique - one green hojari and the other Somali tigray. Some unique extraction technique that results in nice thick viscous full aroma oils with no stickiness. notice the color of the green hojari comes through!

Very nice - I recall some members here specifically seeking frankincense that didn't have such a watery texture, if that's you, these are your oils! I wonder how they achieved thickness without stickiness!?

The Tigray is unusual - the only other one I've smelled was a distillation made by Tyson. I recall a post from him about oil from the species being rare because of low yield. This oil from Oudique has the same unique waxy orange peel type aroma, a very nice variation on frankincense.

These are real beauties, very full rich aroma like wearing the liquefied resin itself.

IMG_6114.webp
 
Last edited:
I got a sample of Majmua Noir from @An Najwa in the last set I received. This is a really charming beautifully balanced sweet blend marrying diverse elements into a united whole that I'm struggling to classify. Sort of floral, fruity, with a little bit of cassia (?) or something, but at the same time it's all tied together into something that is neither fruity nor floral nor spicy. This one is really nice, different elements held in a very appealing balance

In spite of my love of perfume making I feel like a terrible reviewer of perfumes.
 
Last edited:
swiped an attar I created with following ingredients:

Papua Sandalwood CO2 by Hermitage
10% Tibetian Musk by @YusaAromatics
5% Grey and 5% White Ambergris
Vintage Bulgarian + Azeri Bridal Rose (only 2-3 drops) by Yusa and @The Oud Lab

I think I added a drop of Green Hojari aswell but not sure anymore… forgot it 🤔

I macerated first the Musk in Sandalwood for 1-2 months and then added other ingredients few weeks ago but smells even now beautiful Buttery, citrusy, creamy and (sandal)woody.
 
This betel nut oil from @Oudique is unusual - very pronounced toasted / roasted notes, caramelized sweetness, burnt sugar. I imagine this could be used to introduce some very interesting qualities to gourmand and amber type fragrances.

[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Been wearing this patchouly quite a bit. This company had amazing stuff, re-sold stuff from the great French extractors retail and had a catalog that I would kill to have access to today. This bottle has been in my possession for over 30 years, no information on the origin. I do think that patchouly generally responds well to aging although there are contemporary patchouli oils I have been smelling that are every bit as wonderful to me as these vintage oils...

[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Oud.Sg - Mukhallat 02 (2025)

It opens with orange peel 🍊and tangerine scents. Really citrusy stuff this is. Like fresh sun-kissed fruits. Really sharp and piercing. There could also be some Hojari frankincense in this. Then it transitions into beautiful florals like jasmine and rose 🌹notes. This is a lovely mukhallat. Can’t believe I left it gathering dust for so long.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_2432.webp
    75.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
that Hojari extract from @Oudique is a treat - recommend a sample to any frankincense fans who have been seeking a frank that wears like oud.
 
Wearing an attar im working on, trying to steer away from deep ouds, lustful narcotic flowers, and screaming rose oils.
Named (currently) Papillon, the intention is "What would a butterfly wear?". It should be airy, innocent, floral, pollen-like powderiness and slight sweetness, luminous.
Base on a no-soak Manipuri oud, green ,powdery, slightly bitter and creamy wet hay notes, along with slightly lemony ceylon sandalwood, a touch of osmanthus absolute, traditional Kashan rose, vintage burdur rose, and bitte Yuzu absolute.
I can proudly say its 80% finished, just a few more touches of perhaps Mimosa and Magnolia flower EO.
Magnolia leaf was added and it almost ruined the attar, turning it soapier, more metallic, the contrast made the animalic side of the oud stronger, the opposite of what I intended. This kind of attar profile is a new territory for me. More adjustment is needed.
That’s why you experiment with drops , dilutions and small vials, not big batches 😅
 
Today I was wearing some swipes of Green Gazelle that came my way from @An Najwa - this is a really nice blend, one of the most skillful uses of khus I have smelled! Very interesting delicate balance of floral, musky, woody, rooty with the different aspects in balance with one another and nothing overblown.

Feels very carefully balanced and like a lot of time was put into working out the ratios. Really beautiful stuff, excellent craftsmanship. One of a kind stuff.
 

@SULAYM - ELYSIUM II​


I was worried that I would never experience again what I did with the other previous two editions.

Great news: my disappointment has completely evaporated as I smell this amazing attar which I think has even been taken to the next level - as hard as that is to say. There’s a different maybe rounder balance now - it is a brother (not a cousin) to the previous editions and stands at least equal.

if it’s possible to get another bottle outside the boxed set… I just short of beg you save one for me, Sulyam team! Bravo!!!
 
Last edited:
Mitti/Musk/Merauke - by Me!

I’ve been slowly altering the Mitti attar from An Najwa. First with ambergris and veeery cautiously with other materials. It now has a tiny bit of Siberian musk as well as tuberose, and some of the last bit of my favorite Merauke oud. (The most open handed, immediately generous oud I’ve smelled: a hint of kerosene/creosote/burlap, ultra smooth suede and petrichor up the wazoo). It’s been my secret sauce for blends that need help, and I’m sad to see it down to mere drops. Oh! and gardenia and patchouli (also with musk) in such small quantity that it’s almost like the effect of a bay leaf in soup; you can’t taste it but you’d miss it if it were gone.

I can’t believe I made this! It’s soooo, heavenly now. Tuberose, suede and ashtray smell that are somehow beautiful together. It really reminds me of the deep drydown of blue lotus. Simultaneously grape/ambrette bubblegum alongside the richest, most mellow leather. Sweet ashes, the barest hint of spice, honey, ambrette, dried saliva. Warm, enveloping purple gray velvet. The ambergris is finally doing what I’d hoped and giving the burnt sugar note that I find it gives to sandalwood. Smooth, I’ve had to stop myself from using that every other word, but it’s true. Deep, low and mid tones. The tuberose I have has a really earthy, turmeric cast to it and it really grabs onto the mitti clay smell and the ambergris and pulls them through each other and out the other side. Oh, and ambrette, can I type ambrette one more time? Any transitions are within very narrow confines. Earthy, sweet, leather and smooth depth. Sadly very little projection. But I’ve had my wrist to my nose, nonstop for the last 45 minutes.

I’m definitely going to play around with the same materials, but from different sources. I have three other meraukes and three more mittis and would love to see how they combine. Some have really good projection and one of the mittis is absolutely made for musk grains.
 
Wow, I’m amazed at all of you who makes your own stuff

Would you care toExplain “ashtray smell” for me? I never thought of that as a positive description but maybe I’m missing something. curious …
I commented somewhere in this forum something about EO Duplicating the Moon having a nicotinic/ashtray kind of smell. I was a heavy smoker about 20 years ago so I have memories of the said smell. I do not find it detestable, honestly.

In the said attar, though, I found this smell so overwhelming that, for the first time, I felt the need to add drops of rose, ylang-ylang, and vanilla oils. The adulterated attar somehow turned up very floral and to my liking. That nicotinic/ashtray smell is still discernible but now I feel that it serves as a support, making the floral components stand out.
 
Back
Top