Received my sinking Malaysian ant nest from @YusaAromatics today. I placed a few small pieces on a well ashed coal. What a wood! Opening of sweet floral astringent fumes quickly turning red-purple floral fruity. Cherry with lemon-orange, floral powder, sweetness, hints of baking spice, vaporous, creamy texture.

Such a dense scent all the notes are packed together and hard to clearly identify. It’s fine by me because the scent is so pleasant. Lots of smoke and big resin bubbles even from small flat pieces.

Fortunate to have some of this wood.
 
Kangiiten ~ Wild Phillipines Heartwood 🍒 🍒

Luckily I ignored the description "evolves into cloying sweetness." I've shied away and passed before on KZ and Kangiiten offerings using that phrase cloying sweetness. Which I think of as cotton candy or marshmallow rice treats. A sweetness with no relief.

On the warmer after grinding, a breeze of effervescent incense that tastes just like cherry cola, with a medicinal twist of lime around the rim. Like the Kinks song, LOLA, if you mess up the lyrics a little.
 
First time ever burning oud wood today, brings some aromatics from my way in Bangkok, oudchips are from Feel oud - vietnam.
Surprised how does it smell, kinda different aroma that i used to know from some oils, smells somehow floral, spicy roses comes to my mind with hint of aquatic freshness but also smokiness and smell of dry woods. When i smell it from my clothing it have this kind of profile as oriental perfume.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    IMG_6122.webp
    141 KB · Views: 112
First time ever burning oud wood today, brings some aromatics from my way in Bangkok, oudchips are from Feel oud - vietnam.
Surprised how does it smell, kinda different aroma that i used to know from some oils, smells somehow floral, spicy roses comes to my mind with hint of aquatic freshness but also smokiness and smell of dry woods. When i smell it from my clothing it have this kind of profile as oriental perfume.
Nice! You are probably aware but it's a good idea to try burning at a few different temps as well - each wood has its sweet spot i think.
 
Nice! You are probably aware but it's a good idea to try burning at a few different temps as well - each wood has its sweet spot i think.
Just have basic set up only with/on charcoal, dont even have mica plates.
Maybe try add wood at the end of cycle of burning charcoal, when is dying…or dont know how to try different temperature without proper set up.
 
Just have basic set up only with/on charcoal, dont even have mica plates.
Maybe try add wood at the end of cycle of burning charcoal, when is dying…or dont know how to try different temperature without proper set up.
You can make layers with aluminum foil on coal
With different layers you can get different temps if coal is your only option
 
Kangiiten ~ Wild Phillipines Heartwood 🍒 🍒

Luckily I ignored the description "evolves into cloying sweetness." I've shied away and passed before on KZ and Kangiiten offerings using that phrase cloying sweetness. Which I think of as cotton candy or marshmallow rice treats. A sweetness with no relief.

On the warmer after grinding, a breeze of effervescent incense that tastes just like cherry cola, with a medicinal twist of lime around the rim. Like the Kinks song, LOLA, if you mess up the lyrics a little.
Agreed, "cloying sweetness" doesn't turn me on either. Thankfully they don't fit the description this time. I do find his white kynam powder fits that description. I can't go near it. It's too much.
 
Agreed, "cloying sweetness" doesn't turn me on either. Thankfully they don't fit the description this time. I do find his white kynam powder fits that description. I can't go near it. It's too much.
I would like to get a better understanding of what these colors of kinam actually mean. I wonder if I could smell the difference between white, purple, black, green.

I have had the best experiences with Green but I don't know whether this was "the greenness" or it just was better / choice wood that just happened to be the green cultivar (if that is even what they are)
 
I would like to get a better understanding of what these colors of kinam actually mean. I wonder if I could smell the difference between white, purple, black, green.

I have had the best experiences with Green but I don't know whether this was "the greenness" or it just was better / choice wood that just happened to be the green cultivar (if that is even what they are)
I would like to as well. I mean the "white" powder is very light in colour if you go on physical appearance but the other colours don't follow this line. I think with enough experience you could tell the difference...at least with Kangiitens Shin-Kyara (CK). The white does not smell like the green nor the black or purple yet they're all easily recognisable as CK. There's nothing else they could be. I find the green has that nice warm vanilla custard scent. The white is "cloying sweet" almost like cola syrup. The black and purple are very similar. I think I prefer the black and the purple over any other but can't really say why? It's been a good while since I've gone near them.
 
Sinking Nha Trang bead dust - Yusa Aromatics. Took a minute to find the right heat for this. Off the bat at 60 degrees I was getting some nice very sweet light scent but then absolute zero all the way up to 100. Thinking I may have made myself nose blind a bit quick cause it kind of felt that way, I cranked it straight up to 150. I wanted to SMELL this goodness. Well, it is the goods 100%. Very mentholic and minty sweet. I can actually feel it in my nose still after having put it down 10mins ago. Great stuff.
 
Sinking Nha Trang bead dust - Yusa Aromatics. Took a minute to find the right heat for this. Off the bat at 60 degrees I was getting some nice very sweet light scent but then absolute zero all the way up to 100. Thinking I may have made myself nose blind a bit quick cause it kind of felt that way, I cranked it straight up to 150. I wanted to SMELL this goodness. Well, it is the goods 100%. Very mentholic and minty sweet. I can actually feel it in my nose still after having put it down 10mins ago. Great stuff.
Sometimes I'll sprinkle a little of that bead fairy dust. . . . like finishing salt on top of woods that have more of a rhythm section, for an extra kick.
 
Back
Top