RBO Vetiver oil today to start with today. I get a dusty and non-orange carrot. It's actually really nice and even reminds me of the late drydowns of some ouds I've smelled. The clear-greenish hued carrot vibe is far from, but on the same spectrum as the "watery" smell I get from Maroke oud, for example. The more I smell this, the more impressed I am. I have never paid much attention to vetiver on its own but a lot of perfumes I like make use of a synthetic vetiver. I am curious how this would do being mixed with other things, but not enough to go down that rabbit hole.
There is some seriously good vetiver and ruh kush to be found via our vendors here. Absolutely worth having a couple of bottles.
 
Vetiver neat I used to enjoy but it gives my wife a headache. Easy to over do it. I often wear ruh kush neat. It pairs with lots of things well, like ouds and sandalwoods. Experimentation is the name of this game brother. @Mr.P or @Joe may be able to make some good suggestions for you.
 
do y'all just wear it neat? Is there a go-to combo maybe, to improve impact and/or just to complement the profile? I thought about adding Habz Nangarhar rose to it, but I don't think that combo would smell very good...
Oh that combo would be fire! It's actually quite a classic, both of them work really well together, I've tried Isparta Rose with Ruh Khus, but I don't recommend mixing them together in a bottle, instead a tiny swipe of the rose on the wrist and below it, a healthy, fat swipe of the Ruh Khus
There is some seriously good vetiver and ruh kush to be found via our vendors here. Absolutely worth having a couple of bottles.
Just be careful not to actually purchase a Ruh Kush hahaha might not the profile you're expecting :Laugh: just teasing ya Olfactory Nomad!
 
do y'all just wear it neat? Is there a go-to combo maybe, to improve impact and/or just to complement the profile? I thought about adding Habz Nangarhar rose to it, but I don't think that combo would smell very good...
Who says that vet. and rose wouldn’t go well together, especially if those top nuances are oxidized through aging. You’d have the heart of both at the same time. Better to test in a small amount than to dismiss it.
 
Who says that vet. and rose wouldn’t go well together, especially if those top nuances are oxidized through aging. You’d have the heart of both at the same time. Better to test in a small amount than to dismiss it.
I only have a small sample of vetiver so for now it would be a one shot project. I was concerned the vegetal nature of the vetiver would be amplified by the rose and just obfuscate it.

I also have a couple of regrettable mixing projects on the bench already lol. Im fine just being on the consumer end of things for now.
 
Oh that combo would be fire! It's actually quite a classic, both of them work really well together, I've tried Isparta Rose with Ruh Khus, but I don't recommend mixing them together in a bottle, instead a tiny swipe of the rose on the wrist and below it, a healthy, fat swipe of the Ruh Khus

Just be careful not to actually purchase a Ruh Kush hahaha might not the profile you're expecting :Laugh: just teasing ya Olfactory Nomad!
Lol..my dyslexia strikes again .🤪
 
RBO Vetiver oil today to start with today. I get a dusty and non-orange carrot. It's actually really nice and even reminds me of the late drydowns of some ouds I've smelled. The clear-greenish hued carrot vibe is far from, but on the same spectrum as the "watery" smell I get from Maroke oud, for example. The more I smell this, the more impressed I am. I have never paid much attention to vetiver on its own but a lot of perfumes I like make use of a synthetic vetiver. I am curious how this would do being mixed with other things, but not enough to go down that rabbit hole.
Seeing as we’re having a vet-fest in this thread today!

Khus Bhoora - Ensar Oud
Extremely vegetal here in the opening - off the dipstick it smells like freshly-shelled garden peas. Then on skin it shows root veg/carrot-like/vegetable stew/puree notes. This has what I want to describe as a ‘reverse’ dry-down. Usually I would expect to find earthy, deep, vegetal notes in an essential oil or perfume’s base, but here they mostly form the top. Eventually the earthiness blows off, and a quite lovely, citrus-adjacent zing emerges, which for me is the main event. It’s quite nice, but Habz’s vetivers beat this one for my taste.
IMG_0823.webp
 
Oudique Chinese Rosa Rugosa
Got a very generous sample of this in my recent order - sadly the vial got cracked in the mail and leaked, but I had enough left to take a huge swipe. Really deep, jammy, candy-pink rose. Refreshingly different profile from the Ta’ifi/damascena oils I have.
 
I sat down after a very long Monday for an oud burning session while I watched some Dragon Ball Z. I was deciding which colour kinam powder or which region's kodo chip to heat up...but then my wife decided to make some popcorn. So now I'm sitting here smelling screechy, salty butter instead. Bamboozled.
 
Fraterworks Blackcurrant Bud Absolute - this has to be the most pungent aromatic material in my collection right now…it’s miles louder than any of my ouds, florals and frankincense oils, to the extent that I’m slightly afraid to put it in a box with other materials. I can smell it through the closed lid. It find it very pleasant….nice as a pick-me-up. Reminds me a lot of the herbaceous, gooseberry/nettle/cat pee notes you sometimes find in sauvignon blanc. Some skunky cannabis and bitter hoppy notes, too.
 
Fraterworks Blackcurrant Bud Absolute - this has to be the most pungent aromatic material in my collection right now…it’s miles louder than any of my ouds, florals and frankincense oils, to the extent that I’m slightly afraid to put it in a box with other materials. I can smell it through the closed lid. It find it very pleasant….nice as a pick-me-up. Reminds me a lot of the herbaceous, gooseberry/nettle/cat pee notes you sometimes find in sauvignon blanc. Some skunky cannabis and bitter hoppy notes, too.
I love cassis in general. 🙂
 
Some kind of magnolia on our family property - very richly fragrant a beautiful soft lily and ylang type aroma. After checking this out last year I had set a goal to be comfortable extracting with heptane or hexane by the time the tree flowered this year, but I am not quite ready for it so I am likely kicking these types of extractions down the road another year... just for safety's sake and also to make sure I can extract this way on my property without breaking any safety regulations etc.. Philadelphus and black locust will be flowering soon, two other local wild plants I hope to extract someday along with the multiflora rose that grows everywhere.
[Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day
 
Some kind of magnolia on our family property - very richly fragrant a beautiful soft lily and ylang type aroma. After checking this out last year I had set a goal to be comfortable extracting with heptane or hexane by the time the tree flowered this year, but I am not quite ready for it so I am likely kicking these types of extractions down the road another year... just for safety's sake and also to make sure I can extract this way on my property without breaking any safety regulations etc.. Philadelphus and black locust will be flowering soon, two other local wild plants I hope to extract someday along with the multiflora rose that grows everywhere.
View attachment 54069
You may want to study this (similar to ethanol from a safety and precautions perspective) alternative: https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/NL/en/product/sial/673277
 
Far too expensive in my case to be worth pursuing. Thanks for the thought however!
Fair enough. Then n-heptane would be safest. Boilingpoint is higher, but no neurotoxins. Consumer price overhere around 20/liter. Cheaper than foodgrade ethanol.
Anyways next year's spring we read how you extract them 🙂 theres always enfleurage, mastery of traditional skills is cool as bonus 🙂
 
🍫I’ve already posted about wearing Indian oud and eating chocolate. 🥀🌹But tonight it’s rose otto and chocolate. Specifically Tony’s Chocolonely milk chocolate (my favorite) and the ever amazing Ruh Al Ward from An Najwa. I’ve worn this rose probably more than any other oil and right now I’m smelling facets I’ve never detected before. A powdery, civet quality. Warm and cool at the same time. Pro tip! Don’t chew the chocolate, let it melt slowly on your tongue. Try it with an oil you already know and love. 💕
 
Bouya oil

Just got this gaharu bouya oil from Indonesia (aetoxylon sympatrium) I have the wood and jewlery but always wanted to try the oil since I know it’s adulterated in oud a lot. And I must say it’s a very interesting scent and not bad at all. I can definitely see it being good in diffrent future blends.
I got 2 tola.
I’m not sure if anyone knows if it can vary a lot in scent like oud oil can? And if so I’d love to have someone teach me🙂
[Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day
 
Back
Top