Bouya oil

Just got this gaharu bouya oil from Indonesia (aetoxylon sympatrium) I have the wood and jewlery but always wanted to try the oil since I know it’s adulterated in oud a lot. And I must say it’s a very interesting scent and not bad at all. I can definitely see it being good in diffrent future blends.
I got 2 tola.
I’m not sure if anyone knows if it can vary a lot in scent like oud oil can? And if so I’d love to have someone teach me🙂View attachment 54290
i'd be curious to hear the answers to your questions as well. I've smelled two specimens, purchased more than a decade apart, the aroma of the two is overall quite similar. I agree it's an interesting aroma in its own right and has potential as an ingredient in perfume. To me there is nothing oud-like about it (other than the fact that I believe I have encountered a couple of low end oud oils that were stretched a bit with it)

I tried wearing it as a single ingredient but it's not one of the materials that I find appealing on that level. I wonder of there is a little bit of shared chemistry with amyris oil?
 
Bouya oil

Just got this gaharu bouya oil from Indonesia (aetoxylon sympatrium) I have the wood and jewlery but always wanted to try the oil since I know it’s adulterated in oud a lot. And I must say it’s a very interesting scent and not bad at all. I can definitely see it being good in diffrent future blends.
I got 2 tola.
I’m not sure if anyone knows if it can vary a lot in scent like oud oil can? And if so I’d love to have someone teach me🙂View attachment 54290
The scent of aetxoylon is mostly the same since the aromatic resin and oils form as a part of the tree naturally, compare it to Oud where it’s only produced as a defense mechanism and the smell depends on many many different parameters.
 
I went to my storage space today and grabbed three boxes of oils after 9 months out of,town. Mostly ouds, some essential oils and my chunks of ambergris!

My hands right now! The fingers of my right hand are impregnated with neroli, Galbanum and barny Hindi Oud. Heaven! (Note to self, this would be a great accord).The backs of both hands have a dark smear of aged, resinous Merauke with a dot of rose. The highest heaven. The inside of both wrist have a mini swipe of Kangiiten Mysore that I heavily doctored with ambergis , musk and a handful of other sandalwoods. It smells incredibly ancient and smooth.
 
That Merauke put me in some kind of mood because for a “light” bedtime wrist blend I combined spikenard, Seville lavender, Oakmoss and jasmine sambac. This might be another useful accord. It’s like wearing the lifecycle of tobacco from field, to flower to whole cigar shop. I already knew spikenard and sambac made a good combo, but something in here is also giving intense black tea notes.
 
About 1/2 L of cannabis fluid extract i made last night. The summer before last I had some freakishly huge plants, produced way more than I could ever use. I've had these sealed mason jars of flower that have been sitting at the optimal humidity for a year and a half... had to do something with it otherwise it would eventually end up in the compost.

I selected the nicest looking stuff and I ran a whole bunch of it (as you can see in one picture it's actually separating out some oil and other precipitate) in the extractor. I will concentrate this down at some point but in the meanwhile it's good to have done something with all that flower.

This type of crude ethanol extract is typically used medicinally more than recreationally, some claiming some pretty amazing health benefits when used sensibly.

This particular batch really smelled more like lavender than any other herb… not a particularly appealing aromatic profile as far as cannabis goes, to be honest.

IMG_8233.webp

IMG_8206.webp
[Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day
    IMG_8206.webp
    123 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A bit of cannabis resin mechanically separated as opposed to extracted, produced as a byproduct of running a bunch of flower in a grain mill.

[Ouddict.com] Miscellany of the day
 
About 1/2 L of cannabis fluid extract i made last night. The summer before last I had some freakishly huge plants, produced way more than I could ever use. I've had these sealed mason jars of flower that have been sitting at the optimal humidity for a year and a half... had to do something with it otherwise it would eventually end up in the compost.

I selected the nicest looking stuff and I ran a whole bunch of it (as you can see in one picture it's actually separating out some oil and other precipitate) in the extractor. I will concentrate this down at some point but in the meanwhile it's good to have done something with all that flower.

This type of crude ethanol extract is typically used medicinally more than recreationally, some claiming some pretty amazing health benefits when used sensibly.

This particular batch really smelled more like lavender than any other herb… not a particularly appealing aromatic profile as far as cannabis goes, to be honest.

View attachment 54453
View attachment 54454View attachment 54457
And you have a new, lovely profile picture 😉
 
Took the plunge and bought my first agarwood carving from one of the shops here in Taiwan. This piece is 4.7g and comes from the Indonesian part of Borneo, if I recall correctly.

Smells fantastic even at room temperature. A juxtaposition of medicinal and sweet berry notes. 😋
IMG_1008.webp


Edit: seller just confirmed to me that it’s from Malinau.
 
Ridiculous layers before bed:
Jasmine sambac, orange blossom, gardenia , tuberose, ruh khus (just a dot) and Indo sandalwood.
I wish this I could smell like this always! The turmeric note in tuberose absolute with orange blossom is pure magic. The day lily and resin and of the sandalwood with the double dose of indole from the orange and sambac is almost civet like. I wish I could blend this in a bottle instead of my wrist and get the same result.
 
I heard a couple of folks here talk about adding oud to food and drink. I had my first such experience today at one of the agarwood shops in Taiwan.

This is Kinmen liquor which has had some oud chips macerating in it for almost 5 years (Kinmen being a small Taiwanese-controlled island just a couple of kilometres from mainland China and one of the most geopolitically sensitive and historically interesting places in the region)

The liquor is fiery, but there was an unmistakeable oudy aroma to it. I was grateful to the owners for letting me try it.

IMG_1114.webp


IMG_1115.webp
 
I heard a couple of folks here talk about adding oud to food and drink. I had my first such experience today at one of the agarwood shops in Taiwan.

This is Kinmen liquor which has had some oud chips macerating in it for almost 5 years (Kinmen being a small Taiwanese-controlled island just a couple of kilometres from mainland China and one of the most geopolitically sensitive and historically interesting places in the region)

The liquor is fiery, but there was an unmistakeable oudy aroma to it. I was grateful to the owners for letting me try it.

View attachment 54572

View attachment 54573
interesting! I've never ingested agarwood in any form except smoke or vapor but I'm not surprised to see a broader use. Has anybody made oud-smoked salmon? oud smoked gouda?!
 
interesting! I've never ingested agarwood in any form except smoke or vapor but I'm not surprised to see a broader use. Has anybody made oud-smoked salmon? oud smoked gouda?!
excuse me, I mean smoked gOUDa of course.
 
Note to self: never put oils in your checked baggage. Even if you think a polycone lid is safe.
IMG_3605.webp

Mostly Oakmoss but I can smell jasmine sambac as well. I’m afraid to evrn deal with this. It actually smells really good, smoky, weird, mysterious. Just a LOT of smoky weird mysterious.

EDIT: 2 mils gone. A crappy Boston round that I took the drip dispenser out of because the Oakmoss was so thick. It was the one that Enfleurage used to carry and a really good one at that. If anyone was wondering the printing on Eden Botanicals labels really holds up to oil. Plus, oakmoss, atlas cedar and jasmine sambac make a really great accord that’s NOT a chypre or chypre adjacent. At least they do if you put them in a plastic bag.
 
Last edited:
Note to self: never put oils in your checked baggage. Even if you think a polycone lid is safe.
View attachment 54612
Mostly Oakmoss but I can smell jasmine sambac as well. I’m afraid to evrn deal with this. It actually smells really good, smoky, weird, mysterious. Just a LOT of smoky weird mysterious.
of course it's the oakmoss! it's always stuff like that that gets all over everything. A corollary of Murphy's Law: "When an oil leaks in a package containing of a variety of products it will always be the one that is most offensively persistent and difficult to clean". One time it was castoreum absolute all over everything...
 
of course it's the oakmoss! it's always stuff like that that gets all over everything. A corollary of Murphy's Law: "When an oil leaks in a package containing of a variety of products it will always be the one that is most offensively persistent and difficult to clean". One time it was castoreum absolute all over everything...
My other leaky bottle is an attar that I love but has so contaminated everything that it’s hard to want to wear it.
 
My other leaky bottle is an attar that I love but has so contaminated everything that it’s hard to want to wear it.
that happened to me when a small bottle of ruh kadamba broke in a shipment I think it was back in late summer of this last year. I had a larger bottle that did not break but by the time I was done dealing with the broken small one I had no interest in smelling the stuff or using the material in perfume. I have a big bottle of ruh kadamba gathering dust, still not ready to go back to it
 
Back
Top