EO Borneo Bliss Abyss. A small swipe. I've grown to like this one more and more, especially for the price. The opening has a kind of light cinnamon red hots smell, mixed with a bit of diesel, but it quickly moves into the "old books" scent that I am finding out I adore more and more. If it's not old books, then it's chocolate-berry depth. Maybe my third profile I really enjoy is a kind of animalic honey dry down.
 
EO Borneo Bliss Abyss. A small swipe. I've grown to like this one more and more, especially for the price. The opening has a kind of light cinnamon red hots smell, mixed with a bit of diesel, but it quickly moves into the "old books" scent that I am finding out I adore more and more. If it's not old books, then it's chocolate-berry depth. Maybe my third profile I really enjoy is a kind of animalic honey dry down.
One of my favorites from EO. I definitely can remember the diesel smell. That's what made me love it!
 
Just swiped (sort of accidentally) oud extraordinaire from ensar for the first time. My first thought was, “is this real?” It has that sort of phenolic, medicinal quality that I enjoyed from the purple murple, but it also has a resinous quality that reminds me a lot of myrrh. This is probably the most distinct of the ouds I’ve smelled so far; i.e., purple murple, dhul q, Vietnam, and aroha Tigre. This one is much more incense like than it is woody or animalic.
Good pick. I think Oud Extraordinaire and Oud Yusuf are the best of their organic ouds. The first has notes of plum pudding and crackling autumn wood stove.
 
About 4:1 Santal & Oud Pontaniak and Al Hind Assam Prestige layered over Santal & Oud Standard Sandalwood.

I layer like this often. They might not always be greater than the sum of their parts but I rarely happen upon a real loser. This is a grand slam. The rich, resinous, dark fruit, hay, and diesel of the Assam is the perfect counterbalance to the crystal clear aquatic quality and dry dark chocolate of the Pontaniak. After about two hours, the brighter top notes of the sandalwood (which weren’t terribly pronounced to begin with) have completely blown off and given way to a creamy and slightly white floral heart.

I have spent quite a bit of time with all three of the components on their own and love how they evolve over the course of a day. I have no idea how I’m going to get any work done today with this enchanting distraction.
 
Hindi Chenxiang from Habz - probably one of the most beautiful ouds I've ever smelled. The peanut-husk+floral combo is otherwordly. It is just oomphy enough in the beginning and absolutely gorgeous thereafter. Bravo

Aswad from Habz - I was craving something darker so I applied a very light swipe. This time around I am getting a leatheriness with a touch of ash that leans hindi-ish.

Ko Khram Yai from Royal Bengal Ouds - I get cracked purple-pepper berries and chocolate. It's very different from any oud I've smelled
 
AlMokhlif Oud - Floral Malaysian

Initial hits of leathery, rubbery notes. Which then morph slowly into subtle floral, woody, and dried apricot accents. It brings a calm chamomile feel to it that is more like wearing a calming perfume than an oud oil. Again, the scent evolution is beautiful. I’m getting nice green tea notes.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Oud of the Day
    IMG_2967.webp
    62.7 KB · Views: 0
RP- tripura 4- favorite hindi right now. bitter chocolate, soil, smoke, milk and slight hay/tea. like earthy chocolate and smoke with hints of coffee.

yusa- karimantan- have been wearing quite a few of his works to understand well before reviewing, all are nice but this is an absolute standout. deep resinous note, maple syrup, fenugreek, bitter smoke with mentholic top notes.
 
RP- tripura 4- favorite hindi right now. bitter chocolate, soil, smoke, milk and slight hay/tea. like earthy chocolate and smoke with hints of coffee.

yusa- karimantan- have been wearing quite a few of his works to understand well before reviewing, all are nice but this is an absolute standout. deep resinous note, maple syrup, fenugreek, bitter smoke with mentholic top notes.
Sounds like a good combo, i love karimantan!
 
Immortal Oud - Koh Kong 2018

It opens with a balsamic fruitiness akin to dark fruits 🍇. It’s smokey, charred, has notes of tobacco, and is resinous. It has a leathery sophistication that permeates throughout the wear. It’s deep, rich, smooth, silky, and luxurious. A beautiful wild variety.

35E300CC-A7E0-4D0B-9090-4E095ABF8049.webp
 
Last edited:
Hoi An Supreme - FP. This is such a stunning oil but it makes me go blind faster than usual with other oils. This makes me sad. To stay within the Vietnamese flavour, I've swiped a tiny dot of NTK - Yusa which is totally devine and also burning a particularly clean Vietnamese agarwood incense I bought while in Hanoi. Life is good.
 
I busted out the big guns today with Hainam from mesOUD. It's a different swipe each time because I do it so infrequently, only on special days. I get a beautiful blend of light peanut husk and airy florals. It strengthens and I get slight dusty, watery cucumbers added to the mix. Even a slight pinch of spice. All of it is really cohesive, like currents in a stream. I love how different the sweetness is from the usual oudy sweetness.
And then the woodiness comes through. It is such a different kind of woodiness, here is where that chinese character really came through for me. It doesn't smell like oil from wood, but like the wood itself. I went in during a phase of wanting cheesy funky exotic ouds, and initially it subverted my expectations but grew to be one of the most beautiful ouds I've smelled.
 
Back
Top