Wearing a vintage one, @Al Hashimi ’s Bombalai Stunning, well worth it. Longevity is impressive (I’ve had it one since 6 am and it’s still strong at 11:04 EST). I actually wanted to make something of this, but I think @Al Hashimi stored it away. I probably couldn’t afford what I usually use anyway. 😁

Opens with a woody and maple/maybe sugarish-like aroma, but quickly settles to a high-quality Japanese incense stick of Kyara—I’m not saying this is Kyara, as most Japanese incense is Kyaraincpired unless you have significant cash—but this is very much like a quality Kyara stick, just bold. Or a significant does of specialized aloeswood (agar); may favorite of everything I have for personal use, for sure. Well worth it, but aren’t the pricey ones from our vendors usually are, right? The drydown is simply meditative and charming. If anyone know about Bombalai too, DM me.
 
Maysam AlWard AlTaifi - Eid AlFitr 1447AH oud

This is a blend of Ceylani Qadeem, Hindi Qadeem, Cambodi Pursat Qadeem, and Aged Malaysian Sarawak. Very woody like the smell inside a tool shed. Accentuated by a nice cocoa scent. Leathery and woody notes are intense. The woodiness feels like freshly chopped wood 🪵but it feels more nuanced and not your standard woodiness scent. The antique furniture note is strong here. I’m getting deep rainforest vibes and sour notes as well. Very nice.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Oud of the Day
    IMG_3059.webp
    58.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Khagrachori Oud (Chittagong, Bangladesh) - from a local farmer used today. It's something in between Sylheti Oud, Assamese Hindi Oud and Burmese Oud like effect in it. Just for the information Khagrachori is a hill track area of Bangladesh and it still have much natural wild woods and some farmers are also started to grow Agarwood over there. I tried the local one just to check how it was. For me it's fine as it have this barnyardish (because of the soaking in the water I guess) opening like any traditional hindi oud, nutty (almond like), palm fruity like sweetness, spicy like cumin, earthy, light incensy and balsamic notes in it. It's nothing artisanal but it's something interesting for me. ^^
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Oud of the Day
    Image_260722_091542.webp
    94.5 KB · Views: 0
Faizal Privé - Burma Privee (SQ70s)
i've been enjoying this one all day, there's a certain type of smooth resinous richness in the base, a particular facet that I smelled in some Ajmal cambodis from the late 90's but this is like a much more intense, refined and dignified version of it. It's mainly in the dry down that I'm reminded of those oils. This has such an intense quality to something in the top notes I don't know if it reflects fermentation or some other aspect of methods - it's almost intense and pungent in the way that blue cheese is but smelling like oud instead (a facet that I also experienced in the Malay Ultima to a stronger degree)
 
Hoi An Supreme - FP. I really need a full bottle of this. I think I need to put it away for now. The intense purpleness and cooling medicinal blast sends me blind very quickly. That, coupled with the cold, dry air here atm means I miss a lot of it. When first applied it's strength is clear but I really think warmer, moist air would carry this better. Same with Phongsali - FP. Makes sense given where these oils came from. Sandalwood behaves the same. Man it's good though.
 
@all who own SQ oils, can you guys smell patchouli in some/all of these oils?

@Mr.P what you say brother?
hey I appreciate being asked, thank you. I have a small number of them, including the Royale (that I am more than a little bit tired of hearing of FFS… ) all sample size, scrutinized somewhat carefully. maybe 8 to 10 in total? I've also smelled a couple of the florals but not the musks.

never felt compelled to wear them beyond studying them which means my familiarity is limited because there's nothing like wearing something for a month to really tune into it. I never got a sense of patchouli or patchouli alcohol but one had a tiny trace of oakmoss for sure. I think if you are smelling fragrances on a more or less daily basis with even a small amount of oakmoss in them you'd never notice it. It's quite pleasant, very minor, adds a rustic campfire quality that is quite pleasing as a fragrance (which may have been more important than absolute 100% purity as far as I know) but definitely is a little bit distracting because it doesn't belong.
 
Hoi An Supreme - FP. I really need a full bottle of this. I think I need to put it away for now. The intense purpleness and cooling medicinal blast sends me blind very quickly. That, coupled with the cold, dry air here atm means I miss a lot of it. When first applied it's strength is clear but I really think warmer, moist air would carry this better. Same with Phongsali - FP. Makes sense given where these oils came from. Sandalwood behaves the same. Man it's good though.
perception of fragrance 100% depends on some moisture being present in the air. I'm not sure about this but I think if you had 0% humidity you would smell nothing at all. I doubt that would ever happen because there's always some humidity in your nose thanks to water evaporating and diffusing from cells/tissue

I like the HA Supreme but I had kind of been hoping it would be like the old Super Hoi An 😋 . It is no less of an oud for being different, but I have been looking for a slightly funkier crassna like the SHA and this is a different beast entirely - very clean and sweet, sugary crystalline with no fermentation traces at all if I am remembering correctly
 
@all who own SQ oils, can you guys smell patchouli in some/all of these oils?

@Mr.P what you say brother?
hey I appreciate being asked, thank you. I have a small number of them, including the Royale (that I am more than a little bit tired of hearing of FFS… ) all sample size, scrutinized somewhat carefully. maybe 8 to 10 in total? I've also smelled a couple of the florals but not the musks.

never felt compelled to wear them beyond studying them which means my familiarity is limited because there's nothing like wearing something for a month to really tune into it. I never got a sense of patchouli or patchouli alcohol but one had a tiny trace of oakmoss for sure. I think if you are smelling fragrances on a more or less daily basis with even a small amount of oakmoss in them you'd never notice it. It's quite pleasant, very minor, adds a rustic campfire quality that is quite pleasing as a fragrance (which may have been more important than absolute 100% purity as far as I know) but definitely is a little bit distracting because it doesn't belong.
is this in reference to the knew ALD Nepalese Patchouli claims by any chance? I ask out of curiosity, respectfully.
 
is this in reference to the knew ALD Nepalese Patchouli claims by any chance? I ask out of curiosity, respectfully.
I don't know anything about that, as far as what I'm talking about, no. Patchouli from Nepal? That's a first
 
1784761889621.webp


it seems that it's a thing! quite a few hits when I searched. $0.80-$2.00 / gram depending on the source

I always pictured this as some lowland tropical species given Sumatra is considered to be the crème de la crème…
 
View attachment 55867

it seems that it's a thing! quite a few hits when I searched. I always pictured this as some lowland tropical thing given Sumatra is considered to be the crème de la crème…
Oh, well it is in part because Russian Adam is releasing a new fragrance based on a superb Nepalese patch that has some olfactive similarities to really good oud, apparently. I don't know my patch and don't really understand green ouds all too well, so I am just curious.
 
hey I appreciate being asked, thank you. I have a small number of them, including the Royale (that I am more than a little bit tired of hearing of FFS… ) all sample size, scrutinized somewhat carefully. maybe 8 to 10 in total? I've also smelled a couple of the florals but not the musks.

never felt compelled to wear them beyond studying them which means my familiarity is limited because there's nothing like wearing something for a month to really tune into it. I never got a sense of patchouli or patchouli alcohol but one had a tiny trace of oakmoss for sure. I think if you are smelling fragrances on a more or less daily basis with even a small amount of oakmoss in them you'd never notice it. It's quite pleasant, very minor, adds a rustic campfire quality that is quite pleasing as a fragrance (which may have been more important than absolute 100% purity as far as I know) but definitely is a little bit distracting because it doesn't belong.
Thanks for the response.

I was reading about your patchouli collection in another thread, and saw some of your thick resin and solid ones and reminded me to ask. I wonder with that in mind how a revisit to them oils would result.
 
Last edited:
Oh, well it is in part because Russian Adam is releasing a new fragrance based on a superb Nepalese patch that has some olfactive similarities to really good oud, apparently. I don't know my patch and don't really understand green ouds all too well, so I am just curious.
i've smelled some patchouli that begins to rub up against agarwood like aromas, some was real some wasn't.. The funny thing is one was sent to me recently by one of our fellow members here for my opinion because of its unusual agarwood like oiliness... I picked up on notes that remind me of the old royale and oudline km super ateeq, but it was really odd for patchouli and I couldn't give it a thumbs up. Nothing like the superb richness of these ouds but still - a certain aged cola quality that tied them all together. Upon testing that particular patchouli turned out to be adulterated... I have no idea what bearing that has on this situation.

I've also noticed that pure patchouli alcohol isolate has on occasions reminded me of oud, especially some borneos - a kind of rich smooth suave dry woodiness...

It's always nice to hear what Adam is up to, at one point he was pretty active on the forums and I learned a lot from him
 
Back
Top