@all who own SQ oils, can you guys smell patchouli in some/all of these oils?

@Mr.P what you say brother?
Never smelled patchouli in my collection or samples. Nor does Ajay produce patchouli oil as far as i know for the palace. cant say the same for the ones produced by HJ such as Jabreen and other perfumes.
Oh, well it is in part because Russian Adam is releasing a new fragrance based on a superb Nepalese patch that has some olfactive similarities to really good oud, apparently. I don't know my patch and don't really understand green ouds all too well, so I am just curious.
Some patchoulis DO smell like oud, i remember the first time i smelled pure, aged dark patchouli i thought it was oud from some newly discovered region or something.
 
perception of fragrance 100% depends on some moisture being present in the air. I'm not sure about this but I think if you had 0% humidity you would smell nothing at all. I doubt that would ever happen because there's always some humidity in your nose thanks to water evaporating and diffusing from cells/tissue

I like the HA Supreme but I had kind of been hoping it would be like the old Super Hoi An 😋 . It is no less of an oud for being different, but I have been looking for a slightly funkier crassna like the SHA and this is a different beast entirely - very clean and sweet, sugary crystalline with no fermentation traces at all if I am remembering correctly
I've heated up the room for the last half hour and that has made some difference, particularly when I move around. Did not have the opportunity to try Super Hoi An sadly. Maybe I should try and seek some out? Zero fermentation in the Hoi An Supreme.
 
The one region that I think most starts to overlap with patchouli oil per se is merauke - I have smelled some that I suspect may be touched up with a little bit of patchouli or patchoulol isolate.
 
I've heated up the room for the last half hour and that has made some difference, particularly when I move around. Did not have the opportunity to try Super Hoi An sadly. Maybe I should try and seek some out? Zero fermentation in the Hoi An Supreme.
if I ever discover something that kind of scratches the same itch I might be willing to part with a little bit of mine - I have several milliliters, one of the few oils that I have that much of... but until I do, it stays in the vault. I don't even allow myself to enjoy it 😵‍💫
 
if I ever discover something that kind of scratches the same itch I might be willing to part with a little bit of mine - I have several milliliters, one of the few oils that I have that much of... but until I do, it stays in the vault. I don't even allow myself to enjoy it 😵‍💫
Firdous Royale from @AlHind Oud brings many of the things that I love about SHA, but is (justifiably) priced such that it's not a replacement that I can afford. it's clearly a different regional type but it has some of the same distillation qualities… Something like that
 
AlMokhlif Oud - Private Prachin

It opens with a resinous breezy coolness. It’s light and airy. Its creaminess is balanced by the mentholic sharpness. It has this mossy feel to it which is lovely. It’s velvety, smooth, and has that classic cool woody profile of Prachins. It’s sophisticated and comforting.

[Ouddict.com] Oud of the Day
 
Hainan Karyu by @Oudique

I was talking to a friend before purchasing this oil. He said: "I find it pretty airy, nutty and a bit salty, definetly on the fresh side. It smells slightly gourmand almost, and it’s so unique."

And I couldn't agreed more to it! I would myb add: sweet, nutty, [almost] caramelized in the drydown. Thick and heavy oil, don't get that much salt. Unmistakably Hainan, also I would say it shares some facets with its little brother Shirobato but much more deep and complex. Overall this is my best discovery of the year so far🙌🏻
 
"Hindi Kinam" from @YusaAromatics is quite a treat. One of a number of samples that I've been meaning to get back to and share thoughts on… Quite charming - a beautiful balance of sugary, resinous, herbal with a particular je ne sais quoi in the opening that I associate with high quality clean Hindi oud that is really a treat - it's a certain abstract sweetness, almost tart, almost fruity, almost floral... quite focused and beautiful. and I keep getting these little wafts of a really interesting resinous aspect that reminds me of mastic or pine. Very pleasant in the context of the rest of the oil.
 
Last edited:
Had anyone had an opportunity to compare Mai Kritsana against this Prachinburi from the Oud Trader? Curious if its along the same lines.

​

wish i could help more but figure id leave a review of prachinburi from the oud trader to provide my perspective having never smelled MK

it opens with a note i love- a kind of very thick sandalwoody oud cinnamon quality, it becomes intoxicatingly rounded and sweeter for the first thirty minutes. then in the mid it moves more towards a resinous and slightly bitter quality. the cinnamon remains and is joined by coffee, leather and a slight berry note. it’s very nice.
 
wish i could help more but figure id leave a review of prachinburi from the oud trader to provide my perspective having never smelled MK

it opens with a note i love- a kind of very thick sandalwoody oud cinnamon quality, it becomes intoxicatingly rounded and sweeter for the first thirty minutes. then in the mid it moves more towards a resinous and slightly bitter quality. the cinnamon remains and is joined by coffee, leather and a slight berry note. it’s very nice.
Thanks for that. It doesn't read like MK unfortunately. Wishful thinking.
 
AlKhudir Oud - Cambodi SQ

This is a deep, rich, bright, and velvety oud. With notes of fresh figs, sweet berries, and strawberry jam.

It then reveals facets of tobacco, leather,, banana, plums, and thick molasses. Ending with a resinous woody profile that makes you feel the infection running through the oud tree itself. The scent layers being more complex than say Turathiya Selective from Sokkat AlTeeb. This is a really good oil that always delivers a unique experience.

[Ouddict.com] Oud of the Day
 
Back
Top