KYMYA - Ayutthaya 2016

This is a beautiful South Thai oud oil. It has an aquatic and medicinal quality but not overly harsh or aggressive. It has notes of green and yellow fruit like melon, apple, and bananas. I'm getting woody qualities as well. It's elegant, and it radiates with aromatic depth. It has a bitter paint smell to it but not poisonous. It's just the wood having its essence brought out. A beautiful oud.

View attachment 55907
That color!
 
The Oud Trader TARAKAN on today this foggy morning for the farmers market. Very airy and delicate today, resinous and smokey with a crisp green lift underneath.
[Ouddict.com] Oud of the Day
 
Cambodi Ateeq - Oud Hindi Global. It's very resinous, plum fruity, sweet, leathery, spicy like cumin, earthy, woody smell like one comes from old wooden furnitures or something from those old books pages the smell cooks something like that. The smell is very clean. This Cambodi oud is aged well and have it's depth and complexity in it. For this kind of nice rainy weather it's so much projecting around me.
 
Yusa Senren (Hoi An 2005)

Thought I better check in on this one…it has been sitting in a full size attar bottle with a lot of headroom for a long time.

Luckily it smells even better than I remembered - it has a savoury, soy-sauce vibe, notes of dark temple incense, it’s slightly sweet…there’s even a subtle fruitiness today.

It has that ‘mind buzz’ to it which many of us know and love. I wish we had a better term for that….

This has turned into quite a precious oil for me because I don’t have anything else quite like it. Wish I got more.
 
View attachment 55919
Today's attar is Rose Oud Elite from Scent_Talks. This lovely sweet, floral, deep complex notes always have special place in my heart. I know it's more winter type of attar which power projects and in summer it might not be suitable but since today is off day and the temperature isn't that high it's enjoyable. It's more enjoyable in the winter as this projection feels like a strong shield around you to keep you warm. And behind it's burning some oud sticks from TajOud/AssamArroma and my gai'wan tea brewer have some nice phoenix dancong lanhuaxiang tea. It have this sweet honey like taste and nice jasmine like floral smell in it.
Tea, incense, rose and oud! Heaven. 😀
 
My pick for the airport is some big swipes of this oil I got from Yu Xiang Tang in Taipei. This was their priciest oil at $300US for 2g, and the label translates as “The Best Hainan Qi Nan” - a claim I think all of us here would take with a pinch of salt. (There was also another label on it that translated as ‘imperial concubine scent’ - oh my 😅)

Having said that, the profile is very kinamic and very lovely. Damson jam, high-toned sourness, mentholic undertones and a floral touch. There’s a metallic note in the opening, and it turns slightly milky later. The overall experience is actually quite similar to my KZ hon kyara on ceramic. Very pleasant.

IMG_1183.webp
 
Last edited:
My pick for the airport is some big swipes of this oil I got from Yu Xiang Tang in Taipei. This was their priciest oil at $300US for 2g, and the label translates as “The Best Hainan Qi Nan” - a claim I think all of us here would take with a pinch of salt. (There was also another label on it that translated as ‘imperial concubine scent’ - oh my 😅)

Having said that, the profile is very kinamic and very lovely. Damson jam, high-toned sourness, mentholic undertones and a floral touch. There’s a metallic note in the opening, and it turns slightly milky later. The overall experience is actually quite similar to my KZ hon kyara on ceramic. Very pleasant.

View attachment 55982
Sometimes you just need a trace of sourness!
 
I woke up to a really beautiful but very simple gentle sinensis / kinam type residual aroma - bittersweet clean balsamic aroma, light deeply tantalizing woody tang that i associate with only sinensis and the occasional crassna. Beautiful aroma to my pillow, linens etc. as often happens after wearing base heavy materials in the evening.

Fortunately for me (apologize for being repetitive) my tastes lean towards the basic/simple and it's been a good couple of months because I've really made progress in terms of being able to layer some rough/young ouds with one another and with other extracts etc. to produce some really satisfying gentle clean sweet woody scents that provide me a satisfying daily wear and modify the harsh plantation notes without getting too far from a straight oud aroma...

as I've said many times I greatly appreciate the rarities but it's the quest to mold a gratifying daily wear oud from sustainable naturally grown plantation stuff that keeps me interested.
 
Tea, incense, rose and oud! Heaven. 😀

My pick for the airport is some big swipes of this oil I got from Yu Xiang Tang in Taipei. This was their priciest oil at $300US for 2g, and the label translates as “The Best Hainan Qi Nan” - a claim I think all of us here would take with a pinch of salt. (There was also another label on it that translated as ‘imperial concubine scent’ - oh my 😅)

Having said that, the profile is very kinamic and very lovely. Damson jam, high-toned sourness, mentholic undertones and a floral touch. There’s a metallic note in the opening, and it turns slightly milky later. The overall experience is actually quite similar to my KZ hon kyara on ceramic. Very pleasant.

View attachment 55982
I have those bamboo 3ml bottles with the side cut out so you can see the level. I had to buy a bag of glass dipsticks though. I just prefer swiping over rolling😁 and it was like $4 for a bag of 25. I don’t know if they fit yet, but unless they’re square-shaped, they might, just might be universal. So I gotta do a side and upside down test👍
 
I have those bamboo 3ml bottles with the side cut out so you can see the level. I had to buy a bag of glass dipsticks though. I just prefer swiping over rolling😁 and it was like $4 for a bag of 25. I don’t know if they fit yet, but unless they’re square-shaped, they might, just might be universal. So I gotta do a side and upside down test👍
roller bottles are terrible for anything that you're not going to use up very quickly… they pick up hair and dust and skin flakes and immediately start transferring it into the oil. I carry roller bottles of 10% dilutions of raw materials in alcohol which I go through quickly and even those pick up a fair bit of contamination before I clean / refill them and on a couple of occasions I have actually dumped them out early because there was a disgusting amount of lint floating in the bottle
 
I have those bamboo 3ml bottles with the side cut out so you can see the level. I had to buy a bag of glass dipsticks though. I just prefer swiping over rolling😁 and it was like $4 for a bag of 25. I don’t know if they fit yet, but unless they’re square-shaped, they might, just might be universal. So I gotta do a side and upside down test👍
I hate the rollerball with a passion 🫣. With this particular kinda, you can squeeze the plastic insert and the steel ball pops out. You can then use a toothpick to swipe.
 
Small swipe of Super Hoi An today... perfect imperfection for me… It was not an expensive oil, I think it was a couple hundred per quarter tola and it has some rough edges including tangible fermented notes, some phenolic aspects, etc., but I like the particular rough edges and they are restrained and in balance. I get a kick out of this every time I wear it, and I'm able to do that every once in a while because I tucked away a little. 🙂 Agein, this has just the type and degree of fermentation that I enjoy - adds wildness but doesn't cling. I find myself charmed at all stages of its evaporation starting with the robust opening through the delicate shimmering bleached wood tail and I like the fact that the fermentation notes mainly modify the opening and do not carry through into the base.
 
Last edited:
In the same box as the Hoi An are a couple other oils that were excellent and affordable and which I actually ended up purchasing a little bit extra of. Anybody who's been around here long-term has got to be tired of hearing me talk about these… But this is what I enjoy. These are from Oudline, they were recommended by the owner, not from their commercial shop lineup. The more full one on the left is the KM Super Ateeq, this has that nice aged vibe Malay / Merauke oils get... it was a bit pricier than the others and I use it less often.

The next one is the Malay Super, which I especially love... extremely diffusive peppery aspect and deep tangy wild old oud heart. The third is a Malinau, a bit less exotic than the other two possibly from plantation material, I don't know - has a little bit of that sweet peanut oil opening and then a nice sweet glossy Borneo style aroma. i've had all of these since the early 2000s and I love being able to return periodically and revisit these classics that were part of my learning process.
IMG_2777.webp
 
Ensars’ Oud Yaqoub (the OG version) with Siberian grains

This oil has gotta be pushing ten years old now. The musk grains have erased the lilting florals and clear frankincense of the opener and replaced them with a pinene/mango skin dessert fantasia and then the juiciest black licorice. The flowers make a comeback later on but paired with a deeper darker version of the original scent. And the resin note reappears too, more stretched out now. Do I regret adding the musk? Maybe. It was so quavering and beautiful before, but I never wore it. Now it’s its own thing that I also like.
 
Back
Top