I've made a commitment to myself, mainly for the sake of delayed gratification, to allow for a 5-year ageing window for new oils I pick up before I properly dive into them. Obviously it means I miss out on following along with the ageing process for fresher oils, but it's also a framework (an arbitrary one) for dedicating time and attention to older oils, and experiencing some already highly acclaimed oils from ouddict vendors in recent years from a point of their maturity.

Anyway - I'm finally able to enjoy the first oil that I committed to this process.

Jinkoh Store's Tawi Tawi (2021). I remember an initial sample and smelling the cap at different times that this one had a really fruit-forward acidic/fructose profile, along with a lovely nose tingly buzzy pitch. Now that this has had the benefit of time, I'm much more able to detect the floral qualities in this oil, especially in the heart, rather than getting a nose full of 'kinamic' fruit juice. I get impressions of mimosa, and others I want to associate with african violet, waxy iris, narcissus and maybe magnolia (I'm not a perfumer so I'm not claiming any precision). Fruit wise there's a lovely guava and grapefruit tinge, with a hint of passionfruit acidity and mango, but I would no longer only consider this a fruity oud, which I did when this was younger.

All in all - it feels gratifying to smell the material rewards for patience and restraint, and exciting to know that I already have a stellar lineup of oils that will become available over the next few years (up until 2030, I think) without needing to keep buying.
 
Last edited:
Today started my day with a couple dabs of a nice, thick, aged sinensis i got at ScentfestSF. Very creamy, slightly powdery and a subtle spice like a hint of anise and cinnamon. In the afternoon I dropped little YUSA Burma Keki and wow, very potent yet transparently vibrant and a smooth sweet/spicy combo that is much less bitter than the last I remember. The volatile mentholic opening is very smooth, sweet and herbaceous green like a combo of sage, spearmint and laurel bay leaf syrup. A glowing warmth sits underneath with a tobacco like tang and warm spicy myrrh mixed with a sweet red-bean paste & goji berry. Its pretty resinous throughout starting sharp then to sweet then dry with a crisp woodiness toward the end, very pleasant wear on this sunny but cool, windy day. I ended the day with a drop of Tarakan by The Oud Trader, bitter cacao, wet earth and smokey resin.
 
Today started my day with a couple dabs of a nice, thick, aged sinensis i got at ScentfestSF. Very creamy, slightly powdery and a subtle spice like a hint of anise and cinnamon. In the afternoon I dropped little YUSA Burma Keki and wow, very potent yet transparently vibrant and a smooth sweet/spicy combo that is much less bitter than the last I remember. The volatile mentholic opening is very smooth, sweet and herbaceous green like a combo of sage, spearmint and laurel bay leaf syrup. A glowing warmth sits underneath with a tobacco like tang and warm spicy myrrh mixed with a sweet red-bean paste & goji berry. Its pretty resinous throughout starting sharp then to sweet then dry with a crisp woodiness toward the end, very pleasant wear on this sunny but cool, windy day. I ended the day with a drop of Tarakan by The Oud Trader, bitter cacao, wet earth and smokey resin.
I like that Burma Keki for sure - beautiful stuff.
 
A combo today of Hoi An Supreme - FP + Mai Kritsana - Habzoud.
[Ouddict.com] Oud of the Day
 
I’d love to see the lineup were gonna hear about over the next 5 years!
Yusa - Malay Zamrud
Kymya - Silani Sultan
Kymya - Silani Royale
Kymya - Leyte Imperiale
Kymya - Huang Shang '23
Kymya - Huang Shang '24
Green Silani - Serendibity
Habzoud - AlNamir, Zamarad 3 & Gaharu Uno
Al Hind Oud - Shah Alam
Brother Sami - Hainan x HK
MesOud - Vietking, Habib & Anas

Blessed to have been able to pick each of these up, and excited to encounter them once they are all fully fledged.
 
Last edited:
i'll tell you I put on one swipe of that Burma Privee from @Faizal_p a few days ago and I'm still smelling it because a tiny bit got onto this small thread bracelet that I wear. These heavily fermented/processed ouds have extremely long lasting tails if they get on fabric - there's really nothing else quite like it. I have mixed feelings about it actually because while I enjoy that fermented scent occasionally, it isn't what I really seek in agarwood and I don't like it coming through all the time. That's not about the quality of this oil in particular but just my reaction to fermented in general. Those added fermentation notes last a bit too long if they get on fabric... I can see why these types of fermented oils make the basis of the insanely long lasting ghaliyas like the Banu Hashim from @An Najwa

anyway I've already remarked on the beauty of the aroma of this one, it's got that really unusual rich twang that seems to come and some of the "nicer" (to my nose) SQ oils and this definitely is a treasure as far as those classic old school deep reaching skillfully fermented oils go...

I have an excellent fermented Lao "super" I purchased from the owner of Bolisat when it was in operation… (they were also the supplier for the oil Enfleurage NYC carried back in the day) - this is another one that I only apply if I'm ready to commit because it will leave a very long tail if it gets on any of my clothes.
 
Last edited:
KYMYA - Ayutthaya 2016

This is a beautiful South Thai oud oil. It has an aquatic and medicinal quality but not overly harsh or aggressive. It has notes of green and yellow fruit like melon, apple, and bananas. I'm getting woody qualities as well. It's elegant, and it radiates with aromatic depth. It has a bitter paint smell to it but not poisonous. It's just the wood having its essence brought out. A beautiful oud.

[Ouddict.com] Oud of the Day
 
I wore Zamarad 3 to the beach. It was a very windy cool and sunny day. It was actually hard to smell the oud because the ocean was very fragrant with lots of dead mini crabs washed up with seaweed and cold salty air. But in the sun it really bloomed once we were out of the winds, so enjoyably delicate and ethereal with little sparks of guava and peppers.
[Ouddict.com] Oud of the Day
 
[Ouddict.com] Oud of the Day

Today's attar is Rose Oud Elite from Scent_Talks. This lovely sweet, floral, deep complex notes always have special place in my heart. I know it's more winter type of attar which power projects and in summer it might not be suitable but since today is off day and the temperature isn't that high it's enjoyable. It's more enjoyable in the winter as this projection feels like a strong shield around you to keep you warm. And behind it's burning some oud sticks from TajOud/AssamArroma and my gai'wan tea brewer have some nice phoenix dancong lanhuaxiang tea. It have this sweet honey like taste and nice jasmine like floral smell in it.
 
View attachment 55919
Today's attar is Rose Oud Elite from Scent_Talks. This lovely sweet, floral, deep complex notes always have special place in my heart. I know it's more winter type of attar which power projects and in summer it might not be suitable but since today is off day and the temperature isn't that high it's enjoyable. It's more enjoyable in the winter as this projection feels like a strong shield around you to keep you warm. And behind it's burning some oud sticks from TajOud/AssamArroma and my gai'wan tea brewer have some nice phoenix dancong lanhuaxiang tea. It have this sweet honey like taste and nice jasmine like floral smell in it.
Sounds like a beautiful combination!
 
Oud Ahmad and Oud Mahmoud today. I was craving some purple-aged Malays.

Ahmad is a chameleon, always evolving and showcasing different facets. The opening smells like some ripe and fleshy apricots with deer musk and some earthy-green facets. There is a spiciness that smells like angelica seeds and a puzzling "blood" accord. This part is more fascinating and utterly perplexing than beautiful. The second part is where the beauty comes in, as it morphs into a powdery purple floral scent with smooth leather, antique wood, fine incense, and oakmoss. What a journey, and what an oil.

Mahmoud starts off with profuse diesel-like vapors and a sweet purple resin smell which slowly transforms into antique wood, bitter-sweet honey that feels more crystallized than dripping, and smooth, abundant incense. It gets sweeter and more powdery as it goes.

Both smell old and go deep. Deep bass notes on these; the top notes are muted.
 
Back
Top