Alhind Oud - Kinabalu Gold - I have been lucky enough to pick up two older oils from the brand recently - and what can I say - time has been good to these oils.

I have swiped this oil three times recently and had a slightly different experience each time. Always a distinct transition from opening to mid to dry down - always high quality, always with a deliciously honeyed resinous mid and ultra woody dry down - but it’s the opening that shoots this into my top oils list.

In the opening I’ve had Mindbuzz, I’ve had green notes, fruity notes, cooling notes, even lavender 🤯

Others are better at describing specific notes on this forum - so I will stick with a feeling - this oil is simply mesmerising. Yanking me out of this crazy, busy world - for a moment of pure joy.

Bravo.
I bet it's fantastic! Awesome score.
 
Alhind Oud - Kinabalu Gold - I have been lucky enough to pick up two older oils from the brand recently - and what can I say - time has been good to these oils.

I have swiped this oil three times recently and had a slightly different experience each time. Always a distinct transition from opening to mid to dry down - always high quality, always with a deliciously honeyed resinous mid and ultra woody dry down - but it’s the opening that shoots this into my top oils list.

In the opening I’ve had Mindbuzz, I’ve had green notes, fruity notes, cooling notes, even lavender 🤯

Others are better at describing specific notes on this forum - so I will stick with a feeling - this oil is simply mesmerising. Yanking me out of this crazy, busy world - for a moment of pure joy.

Bravo.
I place Kinabalu Gold at the top of my list of all my oud oil offerings so far, and I believe you’ve accurately captured the feeling and experience it evokes. KG2 was equally exceptional, and I hope to obtain the same material again to create such a precious oil. Thanks for sharing!
 
@mesOUD Sinan is in the top few oils I've ever smelled - and if you know my obsession and spend, you know that's saying a lot. I got the package, took a whiff, immediately went back to his website to get more and... its sold out. Not surprising, but... so it goes. Happy I have what I have.

The top notes are so glorious... like (or above?) what I've smelled in Oriscent and SQ level ouds. OutSTANDING!
 
@mesOUD Sinan is in the top few oils I've ever smelled - and if you know my obsession and spend, you know that's saying a lot. I got the package, took a whiff, immediately went back to his website to get more and... its sold out. Not surprising, but... so it goes. Happy I have what I have.

The top notes are so glorious... like (or above?) what I've smelled in Oriscent and SQ level ouds. OutSTANDING!
Cheers
 
Kinam Thaqeel (sample) FP. Descibed as a very slowly distilled, no soak oil produced from incense grade Cambodian wood. Aged for five years. Koh Kong. Probably the best Koh Kong I have tried to be fair and due to the lack of fermentation notes, it follows a nice sweet and fruity progression. A little bit of diesel but more in keeping with wood varnish and definitely has a kinam vibe to it. Not in the Vietnamese purple sense but certainly in the clean, sweet sense. Very nice oil.
 
IMG_3625.webp

Salam alaykum !


Aujourd'hui, j'ai reçu quatre magnifiques oud de @SamiterkiW

hindi power 🍪🍼🍯🌾🌰🍵


Notes

Biscuit sablé chaud, lait fermenté, noix, noisette, thé chaud, vanille, résine crémeuse.


L'ouverture est ultra-gourmande : un biscuit sablé chaud, beurré et friable, rehaussé par les notes sèches de noix et de noisette, accompagné d'un thé chaud.

Rapidement, un lait fermenté à la vanille vient enrober le tout. C'est extrêmement réconfortant et onctueux, comme si l'on trempait des biscuits et des noix dans cette douce chaleur crémeuse. Une transition finale d'une grande douceur sur un fond riche et résineux. Une pure réussite.
 
Last edited:
View attachment 56176
Salam alaykum !


Aujourd'hui, j'ai reçu quatre magnifiques oud de @SamiterkiW


Puissance hindi 🍪🍼🍯🌾🌰🍵


Notes

Biscuit sablé chaud, lait fermenté, noix, noisette, thé chaud, vanille, résine crémeuse.


L'ouverture est ultra-gourmande : un biscuit sablé chaud, beurré et friable, rehaussé par les notes sèches de noix et de noisette, accompagné d'un thé chaud.

Rapidement, un lait fermenté à la vanille vient enrober le tout. C'est extrêmement réconfortant et onctueux, comme si l'on trempait des biscuits et des noix dans cette douce chaleur crémeuse. Une transition finale d'une grande douceur sur un fond riche et résineux. Une pure réussite.
Bonsoir!

I love this! The image is beautiful and I get to learn French too!
 
Today sampling, generously, Wild Aged West Malaysian by The Oud Trader Ibrahim - 20+years aged 'Belantara' بلنتارا meaning 'Wilderness' or 'vast deep jungle':
instantly pleasing (light-hearted 'crowd-pleaser' par excellence), well-rounded, very smooth - all the notes fully integrated, 'streamlined' - as might be expected from such a well-aged specimen; and while it is full-bodied - it's yet without any heaviness or density - bright, apparently translucent and vaporously radiant, full of lift and dynamic playfullness in overall impression;
at the opening - initially mineralic-earthy-humid (even briefly fizzy), with pronounced overtones of fresh varnish, then - a brief appearance of smooth Greenery bouquet with camphoric-medicinal tone at its heart; then pops a faint 'diesel wink', and the delicate aged-vanillic sweetness (the one found in old wooden book shelves rather than in pastry shop) - as a minor nuance in the background.
Upon the diffusion, the mineralic earthiness evolves (rather swiftly) into antique library filled with old maniscripts wrapped in fine aged vellum, furnished with heavy polished furniture (red woods), humid resininous incense fuming in the corners, - yet all of those immersed in an airy-fresh spacious ambience, what shifts the center of the whole composition into the light - rather than shadow, aromatically speaking.
Musky-salty nuance flitters in and out - as a subtle hint, entertaining and amusing - in a form of a clean, breathy, human skin-like sensual supplementation to all the mineralic-vegetal core - rather than a stand-alone animalic funk.
Sweetness is present just enough to provide supple and rounded support - to fill the spectrum - without protruding as a separate note, fully fused into the flow; with the progression into the Heart phase, it morphes into aged dry fruits' vapour (prunes and apricots) - sweetness offset by the lightest sourness and savory, aged woodiness.
The ambery-resinous drydown is delicate, soft and still translucent.
Lovely and optimistic, perfect to begin a day in the 'Summer-mood'.
 
Last edited:
EO Purple Kinam
AA Royal Sumatra (2019)

Friend told me that these two oils share some similarities, thought I’d compare!

PK is such a beautiful oil, It’s truly like no other. I always found it to be an outliner when compared to many other Malay oils. I came to find out it’s distilled from material from Sabah (Borneo) and now everything slightly makes more sense. The smooth powdery florals that’s just out of this world, great stuff!

RS charges at you with an aggressive assault, strong and bold profile leaning towards blueish steel notes. I think I need more time to unlock and understand its full potential.

I get the correlation though, even though the materials are different it’s as if they both were using the same tools and techniques but the result is two very different expressions.

والله اعلم
 
Wore yusa’s Hindi Qinan last night. Out of the sample vial this is very subtle but it blooms beautifully on the skin. It’s very crisp, bright and spicy in the opening with a pleasantly cool green camphor note that slowly gets juicier and more resinous at the same time. There is a hot-toddy like combo of spice, citrus, tea and whisky at the core but its cool crispiness keeps this cocktail on ice. There is no detectable funk, ferment, or barn here anywhere but a subtle haystack scent comes up behind the cool spice, grounding it firmly in the dry-down of smooth soft woods and soft leather.
 
Wore yusa’s Hindi Qinan last night. Out of the sample vial this is very subtle but it blooms beautifully on the skin. It’s very crisp, bright and spicy in the opening with a pleasantly cool green camphor note that slowly gets juicier and more resinous at the same time. There is a hot-toddy like combo of spice, citrus, tea and whisky at the core but its cool crispiness keeps this cocktail on ice. There is no detectable funk, ferment, or barn here anywhere but a subtle haystack scent comes up behind the cool spice, grounding it firmly in the dry-down of smooth soft woods and soft leather.
I enjoy this one for sure.
 
The Oud Trader - Wild Aged 20+ years Prachinburri - Pa Boran (sample)

I just got back from a trip and was opening my sweet packages. Upon opening TOT’s box this one fell out and broke the outer glass but not the v-vial. So I was able to sample it. TOT send the oud in a very crude manner. Small box bursting with bottles in Bahama-style bags trying to breathe through the bubble wrap. It’s a little messy - but as I said, crude. I love it.

It has that Prachin watery ozonic coupled with melon 🍈 note along with the scent of aged smoked dates. Absolutely beautiful smell coming off of this oud. It’s different than other prachins in that it’s medium bodied, and a little bit more purple notes comes along with it. It’s a multi-faceted oud with some juicy fruits aspects which is definitely not linear. It’s slightly medicinal but aged well enough to remain dark and rich.

After being without oud for 5 days this certainly made me happy and jubilant.
 
Last edited:
The Oud Trader - Wild Aged 20+ years Cambodian [unreleased] (sample)

It’s beginning to look like this fellow’s stuff is a serious contender for top-notch market oud. It smells like fermented grapes 🍇. Slight medicinal quality covered up with some jamminess. Not your usual sweet jam type. More like how wine goes with cheese type sweet. It’s like a heavy liquor and the oud has undergone a “hair of the dog” type 2nd fermentation stage. It has a soft quality to it, polished wood, and a slight leather tone. I’m sure this is how much most people apply in order to enjoy an oud. But I apply more which gives me more room to describe the notes. It’s not a cop out. I’m just sayin’ . Really beautiful.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Oud of the Day
    IMG_3255.webp
    144.2 KB · Views: 0
Swipe of resinoid extracted from toasted chips - a nicely enhanced aroma compared to the extract of the raw chips. All of this is very mild in aroma - I don't know if anybody would find this to be a satisfying wear besides me.

Methods -
chips were heated on a large homemade mica/nichrome heating element in a closed mason jar so that all smoke was trapped in the bottle. The wood chips on the heating element were repeatedly replaced by fresh ones once they reached the desired degree of toastedness. All of the toasted chips were gathered and extracted in 200 proof ethanol. all of the vapor residue on the inside of the jar was collected separately with a wash of ethanol.

I have a different batch of toasted wood resinoid as well that has a similar but had a less intense heating so it has fewer of those heated wood elements. That batch was made by putting ground chips into a mason jar and baking for an extended period of time in a typical oven.
 
The Oud Trader - Wild Aged 5+ Years Cambodian Bopha [unreleased] (sample)

My vision isn’t as good as it used to be and my 10-year-old daughter read the name off the bottle and decided to sample it first and gave it the “Ok” nod.

Surprisingly, it’s deeper, smokier, and more rich than the 20+ year aged Cambodi. But that doesn’t mean I prefer it over the latter. Notes of the usual suspects, leather and berries. But this has a note I’m happy to have put into writing - smoked dates and honey molasses-like scent of fig. Very strong tamarind accent as well. Overall, very lovely.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Oud of the Day
    IMG_3283.webp
    81.4 KB · Views: 0
Kinam Hydra (sample) - Oudique. I'm very much enjoying this sample. Personally, I had kind of given up on CK oils. The ones I had tried all come across as too sweet for me. Linear and a projection that won't quit. They can become piecing and have also given me the odd headache. Kinam Hydra is none of those things. Definitely sweet but in a very cooling and minty fresh kind of way. This would be great to wear in the summer. I can feel it's coolness in my nostrills. Floral with a biro pen blue ink note which is odd but totally suitable and not offensive. Fantastic longevity. I think the word "facets" is the word I would use rather than diversity in notes. This opinion might change after a bit more wearing. I would get a bigger bottle for sure.
 
Kinam Hydra (sample) - Oudique. I'm very much enjoying this sample. Personally, I had kind of given up on CK oils. The ones I had tried all come across as too sweet for me. Linear and a projection that won't quit. They can become piecing and have also given me the odd headache. Kinam Hydra is none of those things. Definitely sweet but in a very cooling and minty fresh kind of way. This would be great to wear in the summer. I can feel it's coolness in my nostrills. Floral with a biro pen blue ink note which is odd but totally suitable and not offensive. Fantastic longevity. I think the word "facets" is the word I would use rather than diversity in notes. This opinion might change after a bit more wearing. I would get a bigger bottle for sure.
I hope to see more carefully executed distillations of cultivated kinam, I suspect the best is yet to come. Big difference between the choice ones and the very bland or cloying linear ones
 
Back
Top