@mesOUD - Synesthesia - Got this as a birthday treat to myself and boy am I glad I did. An amazing mix of woods, spices and sweet notes that come together to envelope you in a true bubble of bliss. Add the story of how this came together and the passion (and effort) that must have gone into making it - this is without a doubt the gem of gems in my collection. If I could recommend a single perfume for the community here to buy blindly - this would be it. Unique, and something I feel very lucky to have been able to acquire.
Happy birthday
 
The Night - Frederic Malle.
One of the things that first got me interested in Oud. There’s definitely some real Indian Agarwood in here, whether it’s essential oil or CO2 extract I’m not sure, regardless it smells great.
Rose / Spices / Patchouli / Amber / Lubaan / Hindi Oud. It’s basically Portrait Of A Lady with an Hindi Oud base. I think Dominique Ropion did a really good job in allowing the barnyard tonality of the Oud to be present.
Considering the Dubai store was consistently sold out year after year, customers in the Gulf approve of the genuine Arabian theme.

In my opinion, most French perfumers fail miserably at creating classical Arabian perfumery. The only other successful ones I’ve sampled have been; Al Oudh by L’artisan Parfumeur. Bertrand Duchaufour somehow recreated the aroma of a lightly fermented Crassna oil.
Songe d’un Bois d’ete - Guerlain. A dark, dry, slightly green, spicy, softly animalic Leather / Myrrh / Oud perfume. Very beautiful & mysterious. Thierry Wasser’s friend in Oman said he composes good traditional French perfumes but cannot successfully create an Arabian one. Songe was his reply.
 
Last edited:
The Night - Frederic Malle.
One of the things that first got me interested in Oud. There’s definitely some real Indian Agarwood in here, whether it’s essential oil or CO2 extract I’m not sure, regardless it smells great.
Rose / Spices / Patchouli / Amber / Lubaan / Hindi Oud. It’s basically Portrait Of A Lady with an Hindi Oud base. I think Dominique Ropion did a really good job in allowing the barnyard tonality of the Oud to be present.
Considering the Dubai store was consistently sold out year after year, customers in the Gulf approve of the genuine Arabian theme.

In my opinion, most French perfumers fail miserably at creating classical Arabian perfumery. The only other successful ones I’ve sampled have been; Al Oudh by L’artisan Parfumeur. Bertrand Duchaufour somehow recreated the aroma of a lightly fermented Crassna oil.
Songe d’un Bois d’ete - Guerlain. A dark, dry, slightly green, spicy, softly animalic Leather / Myrrh / Oud perfume. Very beautiful & mysterious. Thierry Wasser’s friend in Oman said he composes good traditional French perfumes but cannot successfully create an Arabian one. Songe was his reply.
Nice. Frederic Malle Desert Gems were my first steps into the world of oud and eastern perfumery. I still love The Night and have a lot to thank it for.
 
Today, I'm wearing Burāq from @SULAYM and Agar Rose from @Faizal_p. Burāq is a recent acquisition that I bought as a part of their 'Rajab Collection'; it's a powerful oil, and Agar Rose is a fragrance that I discovered when I met Faizal at ScentExpo25 last year, and it's becoming another favourite - in fact, this is my 2nd bottle! Thank you to both artisans.
 
Today, I layered the oil 'Amber Kinam' and the extrait 'Jahanara', both by @Oudique. 'Amber Kinam' is beautiful. Vanilla and honey were what I smelt, and it was a great base for Faheem's new fragrance, 'Jahanara', a subtle but long-lasting extrait. A floral mix, combined with Hindi Oud, gives it an edge that I appreciated. It's weird to me that I like this fragrance, because I don't normally like 'florals' - but I do like this one. This happened with Faheem's Musk Polaris; I don't normally enjoy animalic fragrances, but I enjoyed his. He says that my nose is improving with new smells and ingredients. I hope so. Anyways, thank you, @Oudique and Faheem, for expanding my knowledge again today. They're two lovely fragrances.
 
TRNP Queen Of Sheeba today, breakin out the decant during a rainy day of a rainy week in which ive been jasmine obsessed. Yesterday enjoyed ALD Malik Al Motia, and they both really hit the spot for me, though I would prob enjoy even more if it were a bit warmer out. Still feel very warm and cozy inside all that jasmine, today with tobacco as opposed to yesterday’s ambery base. Added just a dab of Safinity’s prachin to the wrist both days and it really brings out a “chefs kiss” level of bright, sweet, indole oomph to each.
 
IMG_0432.jpeg
ARC by Mallo, best fougere which i get hands on. Not 100% natural, there are few synthetics, this is best stimulant for those cold rainy foggy winter days.
Dry mossy chewy styrax with some kitchen herbs. Those 30 ml formats are so cute. I cant get enough of this one.
 
Today, I'm wearing a tester for a beautiful Ghaliya from @Faizal_p called "Ghaliya Bakhoor". I spoke to Faizal about my preferences, and he sent me this, which I appreciated - and he's spot on in his assessment of me (I'm easy to predict :Laugh:). It's 'rosy', 'oudy', and there's a good deal of the smell of incense in there too. I like it. It definitely 'pushes my buttons'. Other people around me like it too, and that's always a good sign, since the people I talk to know I can wear a lot of strong oud. This one is very pleasant to both wear and to be around (so I'm told). When I can afford a larger bottle, I'm totally going to buy one.
 
Last edited:
TRNP Queen Of Sheeba today, breakin out the decant during a rainy day of a rainy week in which ive been jasmine obsessed. Yesterday enjoyed ALD Malik Al Motia, and they both really hit the spot for me, though I would prob enjoy even more if it were a bit warmer out. Still feel very warm and cozy inside all that jasmine, today with tobacco as opposed to yesterday’s ambery base. Added just a dab of Safinity’s prachin to the wrist both days and it really brings out a “chefs kiss” level of bright, sweet, indole oomph to each.
Love Jasmines on a dreary day…not that your rainy day doesn’t still have sunshine, it’s just a guess. ;-0
 
The Night - Frederic Malle.
One of the things that first got me interested in Oud. There’s definitely some real Indian Agarwood in here, whether it’s essential oil or CO2 extract I’m not sure, regardless it smells great.
Rose / Spices / Patchouli / Amber / Lubaan / Hindi Oud. It’s basically Portrait Of A Lady with an Hindi Oud base. I think Dominique Ropion did a really good job in allowing the barnyard tonality of the Oud to be present.
Considering the Dubai store was consistently sold out year after year, customers in the Gulf approve of the genuine Arabian theme.

In my opinion, most French perfumers fail miserably at creating classical Arabian perfumery. The only other successful ones I’ve sampled have been; Al Oudh by L’artisan Parfumeur. Bertrand Duchaufour somehow recreated the aroma of a lightly fermented Crassna oil.
Songe d’un Bois d’ete - Guerlain. A dark, dry, slightly green, spicy, softly animalic Leather / Myrrh / Oud perfume. Very beautiful & mysterious. Thierry Wasser’s friend in Oman said he composes good traditional French perfumes but cannot successfully create an Arabian one. Songe was his reply.
What do you make (if you've tried them...) of Guerlain's 'Oud Khôl', and Kilian's 'Pearl Oud'? I was in Harrods 'Salon de Parfums' a few weeks ago and tried both, and loved them. I could only afford one, and so I picked the Kilian - because it was cheaper mostly, but also because I love 'rose' with my ouds and I already own Frederic Malle's 'Promise' - which is another piece of art by Dominique Ropion, of course, which doesn't actually have oud in it but brilliantly "echoes" it I think. I agree with the learned experience of skilled 'noses', but I also wanted a rose fragrance from Paris that actually contained oud. I would love to get Guerlain's 'Oud Khôl' in the future, and seeing your experience with Guerlain here, I wondered if you've had a chance to sample it or even own a bottle?
 
I'd love to find out more about the Guerlain's Oud Khôl… I've never seen that one before! I have two Oud Pearls by Kilian; it's nice, but I do get a bit tired of how sweet-smelling it is after awhile, and I'm also very lucky to have gotten Musk Oud by Killian. I lost my original bottle (as I did with all of them: Incense Oud, Intense Oud, Gold Oud etc…), so this Guerlain is an interesting one for me.
 
View attachment 53055ARC by Mallo, best fougere which i get hands on. Not 100% natural, there are few synthetics, this is best stimulant for those cold rainy foggy winter days.
Dry mossy chewy styrax with some kitchen herbs. Those 30 ml formats are so cute. I cant get enough of this one.
Pretty sure that Mallo in all natural, including Arc. I agree this is an amazing Fougere.
 
I'd love to find out more about the Guerlain's Oud Khôl… I've never seen that one before! I have two Oud Pearls by Kilian; it's nice, but I do get a bit tired of how sweet-smelling it is after awhile, and I'm also very lucky to have gotten Musk Oud by Killian. I lost my original bottle (as I did with all of them: Incense Oud, Intense Oud, Gold Oud etc…), so this Guerlain is an interesting one for me.
Joe, don’t these all or nearly all rely on aromachemicals and not real oud?
 
Back
Top