The Path - Teone Reinthal

Fir Needle, Black Spruce, Elemi, Texas Cedarwood, Styrax absolute, Labdanum, Mysore Sandalwood, Haitian Vetiver, Vietnamese Oud

In honor of the eight inches of snow and ice we got this weekend: The Path is dark, smokey, resinous and loaded with gorgeous oud. It's my most oud-heavy perfume and I love it. With my sinus problems right now, the oud and the evergreens seem to dominate 😍
Sounds beautiful and familiar!
 
I’ve been out visiting friends this evening & was sent home with a large decant of mid 1990’s vintage Egoiste - Chanel!!!
I used to wear this one in the early 2000s & I have only smelled it briefly since as Chanel no longer officially distribute it in Australia. One spray in the car, a beautifully bright rose/lavender/rosewood fixated by a dry yet buttery sandalwood, warm spice, a touch of powdery vanilla & oakmoss. Nostalgic. Very ahead of its time, formulated in 1988, it has a modernity.
 
I’ve been out visiting friends this evening & was sent home with a large decant of mid 1990’s vintage Egoiste - Chanel!!!
I used to wear this one in the early 2000s & I have only smelled it briefly since as Chanel no longer officially distribute it in Australia. One spray in the car, a beautifully bright rose/lavender/rosewood fixated by a dry yet buttery sandalwood, warm spice, a touch of powdery vanilla & oakmoss. Nostalgic. Very ahead of its time, formulated in 1988, it has a modernity.
I had Platinum Egoiste in the 90’s in my teen yearS, not Egoiste. I loved it, wore it frequently at clubs when clubs were popular, and the smell of it on my shirt mixed with cigarette smoke from smoking in the club—it’s not a smell I want to reproduce, but remains a scent memory. I guess you can’t smoke in bars or clubs any longer can you? I am also guessing there aren’t that many clubs, are there? Have bars replaced them?
 
I had Platinum Egoiste in the 90’s in my teen yearS, not Egoiste. I loved it, wore it frequently at clubs when clubs were popular, and the smell of it on my shirt mixed with cigarette smoke from smoking in the club—it’s not a smell I want to reproduce, but remains a scent memory. I guess you can’t smoke in bars or clubs any longer can you? I am also guessing there aren’t that many clubs, are there? Have bars replaced them?
I used to wear Platinum Egoiste also! I’ve smelt the modern version not too long ago & it appeared to be in decent condition. It’s soapy, thin, metallic fougere structure was pretty much intact.
Not so sure about clubs & bars, I’ve never been a drinker, nor smoker. Your days of youth sound fun tho!
 
Sorry guys, but this is more like the perfumes/scents of the week! Keep with me :handpointdown:😉 ...

*Today, I wore "Al Oud" by Areej Le Doré, layered beneath "Pearl Oud, Doha" by Kilian. I find the "Al Oud" to be a little weak. It doesn't have much "oomph" about it for me, and don't wear it 'solo' very often, but that being said, I think that it's great for use with both oils and jazzing up a commercial quality extrait - and "Pearl Oud, Doha" is a mainstream commercial house extrait, albeit a quality Parisian one. The extrait is beautiful worn just solo - but it also "works well with others...", and the "Al Oud gives it a "hit". I sprayed my clothes with both fragrances, and I think the combo works very well.

*Yesterday I wore "Musc et Vanille" by @Faizal_p. It's still my 'signature scent'. I do not usually enjoy gourmand parfum, but I am completely in love with this one - and the way that the vanilla turns to smoke - that which lasts and lasts. My jumper and jacket are still fragranced by it from last weekend, and it was a pleasure to wear them again yesterday and refresh this beautiful extrait from Faizal.

*Last week, I mostly wore "Oud" and "Semi Bespoke 2" by Arabian Perfumes.
"Oud" is a blend that starts strong. It's musky, sweet, woody, smoky, but not barnyard. It's a powerful fragrance, lasts all day, and ends-up very smoky about 8-10 hrs later. I've also taken to scenting my clothes, shirt/jumper and jacket with it because I enjoy it very much. It lasts for days that way, and it is a real pleasure, if not an 'indulgence', to wear it.
I can say much the same for "Semi Bespoke 2". This one is also a real head-turner, projecting a powerful presence and sillage. I also scent my clothes as well as my skin with it - and it too lasts for days that way. It is rich, deep, opens doors before I get to them and does wonders for my reputation. Everyone has enjoyed it with me this week, and I've been stopped outside work and in shops, asked what it is. It's well on its way to being one of my top favourites.
 
Last edited:
IMG_8078.jpeg

Derby - Guerlain.
I’m lucky to have been able to an acquire one of these original ‘eagle bottles’. This particular bottle is from 1985 & it’s in exceptional condition. I purchased it from a seller in Muscat who’d stored it very well. It’s always a risk collecting vintage French perfumes, as sometimes the top notes can be affected by age.

During the 1980s, masculine French perfumery had become very muscular, square jawed, animalic due to the success of perfumes such as Antaeus & Kouros. Most of the French houses were releasing their vision of ‘powerhouse’ perfumes. Guerlain attempted to capitalise upon this genre with Derby, a green mossy leather chypre. Although Guerlain tried to depart from their oriental leaning, powdery, dandified floral masculine aesthetic, Derby is too refined to be considered a true ‘powerhouse’.

Green, cool spicy, minty, herbal, bergamot top notes give way to a subtle, complex, romantic floral heart of Rose & Jasmine, far too pretty to be considered rugged in any way. Much of the same in the base, although the bitter green oakmoss & dark leather is dosed high, a soft tobacco & warm, powdery amber note are too prominent, too plush for Derby to widely appeal to the virile 1980s masculine taste. Today, perfume critics rate it one of the greatest masculines, but it failed at the time of release.
Re-packaged, then discontinued in the mid 90s, it received a re-release in 2012, however the formula had been adjusted to appease IFRA regulations, subsequently the new incarnation of Derby was significantly altered & again pulled from the market a few years later.

Thankfully, during the last 10 years or so, Derby has finally received the respect it deserves. Boosted by the ‘5 star / masterpiece’ rating in Luca Turin’s book ‘Perfumes: The A-Z Guide’, a new wave of perfume enthusiasts have discovered it’s beauty.
 
Last edited:
View attachment 52786
Derby - Guerlain.
I’m lucky to have been able to an acquire one of these original ‘eagle bottles’. This particular bottle is from 1985 & it’s in exceptional condition. I purchased it from a seller in Muscat who’d stored it very well. It’s always a risk collecting vintage French perfumes, as sometimes the top notes can be affected by age.

During the 1980s, masculine French perfumery had become very muscular, square jawed, animalic due to the success of perfumes such as Antaeus & Kouros. Most of the French houses were releasing their vision of ‘powerhouse’ perfumes. Guerlain attempted to capitalise upon this genre with Derby, a green mossy leather chypre. Although Guerlain tried to depart from their oriental leaning, powdery, dandified floral masculine aesthetic, Derby is too refined to be considered a true ‘powerhouse’.

Green, cool spicy, minty, herbal, bergamot top notes give way to a subtle, complex, romantic floral heart of Rose & Jasmine, far too pretty to be considered rugged in any way. Much of the same in the base, although the bitter green oakmoss & dark leather is dosed high, a soft tobacco & warm, powdery amber note are too prominent, too plush for Derby to widely appeal to the virile 1980s masculine taste. Today, perfume critics rate it one of the greatest masculines, but it failed at the time of release.
Re-packaged, then discontinued in the mid 90s, it received a re-release in 2012, however the formula had been adjusted to appease IFRA regulations, subsequently the new incarnation of Derby was significantly altered & again pulled from the market a few years later.

Thankfully, during the last 10 years or so, Derby has finally received the respect it deserves. Boosted by the ‘5 star / masterpiece’ rating in Luca Turin’s book ‘Perfumes: The A-Z Guide’, a new wave of perfume enthusiasts have discovered it’s beauty.
Well articulated thoughts on derby. While I appreciate this genre of perfumery, most of the times it feels “too much” and borderline unwearable for me.
 
View attachment 52786
Derby - Guerlain.
I’m lucky to have been able to an acquire one of these original ‘eagle bottles’. This particular bottle is from 1985 & it’s in exceptional condition. I purchased it from a seller in Muscat who’d stored it very well. It’s always a risk collecting vintage French perfumes, as sometimes the top notes can be affected by age.

During the 1980s, masculine French perfumery had become very muscular, square jawed, animalic due to the success of perfumes such as Antaeus & Kouros. Most of the French houses were releasing their vision of ‘powerhouse’ perfumes. Guerlain attempted to capitalise upon this genre with Derby, a green mossy leather chypre. Although Guerlain tried to depart from their oriental leaning, powdery, dandified floral masculine aesthetic, Derby is too refined to be considered a true ‘powerhouse’.

Green, cool spicy, minty, herbal, bergamot top notes give way to a subtle, complex, romantic floral heart of Rose & Jasmine, far too pretty to be considered rugged in any way. Much of the same in the base, although the bitter green oakmoss & dark leather is dosed high, a soft tobacco & warm, powdery amber note are too prominent, too plush for Derby to widely appeal to the virile 1980s masculine taste. Today, perfume critics rate it one of the greatest masculines, but it failed at the time of release.
Re-packaged, then discontinued in the mid 90s, it received a re-release in 2012, however the formula had been adjusted to appease IFRA regulations, subsequently the new incarnation of Derby was significantly altered & again pulled from the market a few years later.

Thankfully, during the last 10 years or so, Derby has finally received the respect it deserves. Boosted by the ‘5 star / masterpiece’ rating in Luca Turin’s book ‘Perfumes: The A-Z Guide’, a new wave of perfume enthusiasts have discovered it’s beauty.

Wow. What an incredibly informative review. I don’t just feel like I know Derby a little better, I feel like I also got a history lesson on the industry/market. Thank you for taking the time to write it out. These are fun ways to learn about several things in this hobby, simultaneously.
 
Areej Le Dore - Gul Hina

This parfum opens with a fresh sparkle of bergamot (one of my favorite citrus ingredients) which is softened by creamy magnolia. The heart blooms into the elegance of: hena, rose, and jasmine that were distilled over a base of white musk. It then settles into a smooth sandalwood base, leaving a calm, refined trail that is sweet, sensual, and luxurious. It features strong projection and sillage. I love it when simple ingredients take a fragrance beyond its scent capabilities via the hands of a great craftsman. And Russian Adam certainly is that.

I’ll be looking to add more ALD fragrances to my current arsenal.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Perfume of the Day
    IMG_2333.webp
    148.7 KB · Views: 57
Wabisabikouki - Jasmine Extrait. Every time I wear this perfume created by @Mr.P I am stunned by it's beauty - the best Jasmine scent ever!
Thank you, very glad you're enjoying it!
 
Henry Jacques - Oudh Imperial

Today I'm wearing on my favorite frags. Its characterized by its bold and opulent Oud at the forefront coupled with strong leather and geranium undertones. Its deep, woody, and slightly spicy. Its a very regal parfum. Glad to have plenty of this in stock.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Perfume of the Day
    Oudh imperial.webp
    93.5 KB · Views: 59
KYMYA - Zahra

Every time I spray this on I feel like a million bucks. It’s calming, meditative, and relaxing. It features top notes of lemon and fennel, heart of Egyptian Jasmine and Moroccan rose, and base of Indian sandal wood and Haitian vetiver. It’s very opulent and luxurious. Strong projection and sillage. All of KYMYA’s parfums are regal.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Perfume of the Day
    IMG_2342.webp
    112.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
@mesOUD - Synesthesia - Got this as a birthday treat to myself and boy am I glad I did. An amazing mix of woods, spices and sweet notes that come together to envelope you in a true bubble of bliss. Add the story of how this came together and the passion (and effort) that must have gone into making it - this is without a doubt the gem of gems in my collection. If I could recommend a single perfume for the community here to buy blindly - this would be it. Unique, and something I feel very lucky to have been able to acquire.
 
Back
Top