What do you make (if you've tried them...) of Guerlain's 'Oud Khôl', and Kilian's 'Pearl Oud'? I was in Harrods 'Salon de Parfums' a few weeks ago and tried both, and loved them. I could only afford one, and so I picked the Kilian - because it was cheaper mostly, but also because I love 'rose' with my ouds and I already own Frederic Malle's 'Promise' - which is another piece of art by Dominique Ropion, of course, which doesn't actually have oud in it but brilliantly "echoes" it I think. I agree with the learned experience of skilled 'noses', but I also wanted a rose fragrance from Paris that actually contained oud. I would love to get Guerlain's 'Oud Khôl' in the future, and seeing your experience with Guerlain here, I wondered if you've had a chance to sample it or even own a bottle?
I’ve never smelled either of those, unfortunately. There’s no Guerlain boutique anywhere in Australia, which I think is outrageous! Therefore, it’s very challenging to sample their perfumes. The mainline & some of their exclusives are available to smell in department stores, but mostly it’s all online. Such a shame because I love Guerlain, especially their classics but I think many of their modern compositions are brilliant also. Guerlain, Chanel, Hermes, Jean Patou, Serge Lutens are my favourites French houses.
 
View attachment 53055ARC by Mallo, best fougere which i get hands on. Not 100% natural, there are few synthetics, this is best stimulant for those cold rainy foggy winter days.
Dry mossy chewy styrax with some kitchen herbs. Those 30 ml formats are so cute. I cant get enough of this one.
Wow! This looks like something I’d enjoy very much! I love vintage fougeres with a passion, hence my username!
 
Tallemaja Boreal - Teone Reinthal

Yuzu, black spruce, fir, olibanum, cedar, violet leaf, galbanum, Vietnamese oud

A dry forest fragrance created for a customer who was sensitive to oakmoss. A knock-out. One of my favorites of Teone's forest perfumes, if not the favorite thanks to the brightness of the yuzu and the knock-out dose of gorgeous Vietnamese oud. I'd like to say I timed it to the Vietnamese New Year but I've been wearing it a lot lately.
 
Last edited:
Today, I wore the same as I wore yesterday; I rolled an old oud attar that I've owned for over 20 years up both arms - I've forgotten its name - and then liberally applied a fragrance created by the guy who owns Arabian Parfums and which he's named "Semi Bespoke Musk 2" to my body, my shirt and jumper. It's a beautiful, rich, musky, animalic fragrance. It lasts all day and night, and I could still smell it on my body the next day before my shower. I also own his 'Semi Bespoke Musk 1'. I wore this on Saturday, with a rose attar from Arabian Oud layered beneath. The Semi Bespoke Musk 1 is another musky, animalic and sweet fragrance. I actually prefer it to the Musk 2, but I only have about 10ml of this one left, and I need to treat it with care. Fortunately, it lasts many hours, and even after 10 hours, it was still working.
 
Has anyone tried NHA TRANG KINAM KODO BY ELIXIR ATTAR . WILL APPRECIATE A REVIEW.
Ahmed is underrated in my opinion. While not everything he creates is successful, when he does compose a perfume or attar that works, it’s often special. He has talent, but is a long way off the likes of ASO, An Najwa, Ensar, Russian Adam.
Sorry I haven’t sampled Kinam Kodo yet.

Marasim Ghaliya is the best Elixir composition I’ve smelled. Marasim was the most beautiful leather attar; SQ 1985 Hindi oud, a peachy / suede Osmanthus, amber, warm spices, musk = a heavenly realistic leather accord. Man, I loved it, it was so good. Unfortunately none left now!
 
Last edited:
Majid Ittirji "White Ambergris Grade 1"

their sales copy for this clumsily executed fake:
"100% Pure Ambergris, extremely rich scent, complex, true and long lasting, used extensively in the perfume and pharmaceutical industries"

This is a bunch of synthetic ambroxide crystals and low grade clary sage oil dumped into some kind of cheap carrier. Utter trash. Be careful where your spend your money and what you use to train your nose. The joke is on you, twice, if you buy and then educate yourself with materials like these. I hate to say it...

IMG_5888.webp
 
Last edited:
Ahmed is underrated in my opinion. While not everything he creates is successful, when he does compose a perfume or attar that works, it’s often special. He has talent, but is a long way off the likes of ASO, An Najwa, Ensar, Russian Adam.
Sorry I haven’t sampled Kinam Kodo yet.

Marasim Ghaliya is the best Elixir composition I’ve smelled. Marasim was the most beautiful leather attar; SQ 1985 Hindi oud, a peachy / suede Osmanthus, amber, warm spices, musk = a heavenly realistic leather accord. Man, I loved it, it was so good. Unfortunately none left now!
have tried all of these perfumers except ASO, he is my favorite of these listed by a wide margin personally

nha trang kodo is great, i’ve only smelled one nha trang aside from this. it’s definitely red and medicinal, a lot of woody depth. and it projects like a beast, huge fan. also has a kind of glue like creamy depth.
 
TRNP Garden Of Pleasures, glad I got myself a 5ml decant of this instead of a smaller sample as i do enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Its described as a sensual body scent of intimacy and I couldnt agree more. Very attractive combo of relatively tame florals for Teone (lotus, frangi, champa), oud and sandalwood. I am truly a fan of her compositions and this is the least heady floral ive tried. I was worried it would be too sweet after the smelling the scent strip but on my skin the sandalwood comes out and tames the sweetness some. Beginning to get more oud now that its been just over an hour.
 
Today (Wednesday 18th Feb) I wore one of my favourite 'rose/oud' commercial oils: Mukhalat Al Tamayoz from Arabian Oud, which I love and have been wearing a lot recently to jazz up weaker EDPs - that I really should sell-on. This time I layered it under a very new Parfum I bought last week: Layla from Xerjoff. I tried Layla in Harrods' "Salon de Parfums" last month, and then again at Fortum and Mason's "Perfume Floor" two weeks ago, and I decided to get myself 50ml there to give it a proper try-out. I'm trying to test most of Xerjoff's "K" and "Oud Stars" series'. Given that I've managed only about 8-10 of them so far, but there's already been one or two that have caught my attention, and Layla - from the 'K' series, is one of those. I find it to be a very sensual, musky and 'homely' fragrance - which isn't 'like me at all' 🤣. I normally like my Ouds 'loud'. There's something 'warm' about Layla somehow that appeals to me - and it's also one of the very few perfumes that my partner and I (who is the total perfume-nerd, but who doesn't like Oud) can agree on. Layla, IMO, is good enough to wear solo, but I also love wearing my rose oil and wanted to try it in combination with Layla over the past few days. It's been a successful pairing that I have enjoyed very much - and I've made a mental note that each enhances the other.

​

 
Last edited:
Today (Wednesday 18th Feb) I wore one of my favourite 'rose/oud' commercial oils: Mukhalat Al Tamayoz from Arabian Oud, which I love and have been wearing a lot recently to jazz up weaker EDPs - that I really should sell-on. This time I layered it under a very new Parfum I bought last week: Layla from Xerjoff. I tried Layla in Harrods' "Salon de Parfums" last month, and then again at Fortum and Mason's "Perfume Floor" two weeks ago, and I decided to get myself 50ml there to give it a proper try-out. I'm trying to test most of Xerjoff's "K" and "Oud Stars" series'. Given that I've managed only about 8-10 of them so far, but there's already been one or two that have caught my attention, and Layla - from the 'K' series, is one of those. I find it to be a very sensual, musky and 'homely' fragrance - which isn't 'like me at all' 🤣. I normally like my Ouds 'loud'. There's something 'warm' about Layla somehow that appeals to me - and it's also one of the very few perfumes that my partner and I (who is the total perfume-nerd, but who doesn't like Oud) can agree on. Layla, IMO, is good enough to wear solo, but I also love wearing my rose oil and wanted to try it in combination with Layla over the past few days. It's been a successful pairing that I have enjoyed very much - and I've made a mental note that each enhances the other.

​

From the Oud stars collection I’ve found Alexandria II and Fars to be really nice.
 
IMG_8118.webp

Eau de 1000 - Jean Patou

A late 1970s vintage of 1000 by Jean Patou. Stunning condition. In my opinion, the crowning glory of the master perfumer Jean Kerleo’s career. One of the greatest chypres ever composed. Floral, powdery, aldehydic, green, mossy, resinous, animalic. A beautiful natural Rose / Osmanthus top note, wonderfully balanced with the luminous sparkling aldehydes. The pink dewy freshness & peachy-apricot white floral tones is mouthwatering. The mid develops into a lush greenery with cool herbal notes, powdery violet / iris, more rose, a touch of indolic white florals & a hint of spice.
The dry down is heavenly, Kerleo was know for his expansive chypre bases, often featuring his signature oakmoss-sandalwood-civet accord. Utilised here, in addition to a creamy cosmetic-like powdery quality, with a rosiness lasting until the final stages on the skin. The classical use of civet is spectacular, recalling the golden years of French perfumery.
They certainly don’t make them like this anymore!
 
Last edited:
The Night - Frederic Malle.
One of the things that first got me interested in Oud. There’s definitely some real Indian Agarwood in here, whether it’s essential oil or CO2 extract I’m not sure, regardless it smells great.
Rose / Spices / Patchouli / Amber / Lubaan / Hindi Oud. It’s basically Portrait Of A Lady with an Hindi Oud base. I think Dominique Ropion did a really good job in allowing the barnyard tonality of the Oud to be present.
Considering the Dubai store was consistently sold out year after year, customers in the Gulf approve of the genuine Arabian theme.

In my opinion, most French perfumers fail miserably at creating classical Arabian perfumery. The only other successful ones I’ve sampled have been; Al Oudh by L’artisan Parfumeur. Bertrand Duchaufour somehow recreated the aroma of a lightly fermented Crassna oil.
Songe d’un Bois d’ete - Guerlain. A dark, dry, slightly green, spicy, softly animalic Leather / Myrrh / Oud perfume. Very beautiful & mysterious. Thierry Wasser’s friend in Oman said he composes good traditional French perfumes but cannot successfully create an Arabian one. Songe was his reply.
Does the night similar to ajmal Mukhllat Al shams I tried the night but forgot how it smelled like
 
Aroma Sublime - Grande Jasmine and Celadon

It starts out with green and herbal Jasmine sambac and lush grandiflorum with honeyed nuances. It then gets anchored by creamy sandalwood making this a serene experience. I’ve layered it with Celadon - a star anise heavy perfume. Together they pack a light punch during this glorious afternoon of an upcoming 3-day holiday. I’m running low on Celadon and it’s one of those scents I want to always have. Not discounting the amazing Grande Jasmine which has a unique take on Jasmine-forward perfumes. They both smell natural and unadulterated. Beautiful!
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Perfume of the Day
    IMG_1536.webp
    59.2 KB · Views: 17
  • [Ouddict.com] Perfume of the Day
    IMG_1537.webp
    132.4 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top