Trade Oud - Mysore Sandalwood

This is the only Mysore that comes close to AlShareef Oudh’s Mysore 2020. Less focus on the citrusy element and more sweet, perfumy, creaminess. I’m using this for a blend and when I swiped I was taken to nirvana with the smell of it. Will definitely be getting more of this for neat usage.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Sandalwood oil of the day
    IMG_2741.webp
    82 KB · Views: 0
I am wearing a swipe of an oil labeled "Mysuru 2025" from @AlHind Oud - truly wonderful stuff. I also wore swipe of it yesterday morning. Nice complex authentic opening, soft yet rich, slight medicinal quality, just gorgeous soft nuances all around. Lasted all day yesterday and in fact in the evening when I was distilling some elder flower I put a drop of what was coming out of the condenser on my arm to test it and was greeted by a sublime bloom of perfect sandalwood in balance with the aroma of the flowers, it was delightful.
 
Last edited:
Liberty Natural - Mysore - Just arrived today, so had to try it out. Very cheap, seems workable, but very young. I imagine it'll improve with time to some degree. Certainly not the best I've tried, but seems reasonable enough for blending or layering or eh, neat wear as well. At $3/ml, cant go wrong though if you need some for various projects 😉
 
Liberty Natural - Mysore - Just arrived today, so had to try it out. Very cheap, seems workable, but very young. I imagine it'll improve with time to some degree. Certainly not the best I've tried, but seems reasonable enough for blending or layering or eh, neat wear as well. At $3/ml, cant go wrong though if you need some for various projects 😉
I find this Liberty oil to be a great macerating oil.

Just tried Al Hind's One Tree and man that's a really high quality oil to wear by itself. I don't know the details on it, but it smells very santalol rich!
 
I find this Liberty oil to be a great macerating oil.

Just tried Al Hind's One Tree and man that's a really high quality oil to wear by itself. I don't know the details on it, but it smells very santalol rich!
The "one tree" oil is a special one worth committing to memory…
 
Today completes my exploration of Mysore budget (oof) sandalwoods, trialing the last one from the UK.

Some notes
* As many of you know, the Mysore claim is... abused heavily. My favorite example of this is Fraterworks, who generally is a well known stockist for perfumists, but their 'signature' mysore is not mysore. They claim its all grown in 'historic' mysore kingdom areas, even though at least 2 of the regions specified either were not very much in the Mysore kingdom region, or not at all. Even the source they bought it from does not sell it as Mysore. Tamil Nadu and other regions do make a fine sandalwood, but this is frankly just wrong. Also going back to the 1600s maps to make the claim (incorrectly as well) is fairly shady IMO. But, they're not alone in this. Generally just expected at best, most "Mysore" is not, barring artisinal or vintage stocks, and even with the latter, i'm sure there's a fair amount of fraud there too.
* Thankfully, none of them seem adulterated as near as i can test for. There are adulterations that require full GCMS though, so this is not proof positive, but all sources sans 9regions do claim at least basic validation and test results and santalol level testing.
* Quality is generally OK. Assuredly S. Album, and likely generally from India somewhere, though I've not tried an Aussie S. Album to get my nose on how their smell. Generally pleasant and creamy and not astounding but not terrible. Great for blending/mixes/bench work, no real complaints.
* No real standouts. The 9regions stuff does smell pretty good to my nose (beadscrap he claims to distill himself and likely does), and the rando ebay guy that is selling 6 year aged I think still edges it out. The liberty and UK stuff are... fine? I mean, i'd still wear em neat, but I'm not an afficianado, but nothing is super exciting in these two, other than ease of availibility. The frater stuff seems fairly poorly reviewed from what i've seen, or at least as much negative as positive.

Overall, it sets me up for castoreum, saffron and a dozen other dilutions (I have many year long samples going that depleated my working stock). Still left to do is to take one of these and dilute with dreamwood and see if my nose can reliably ascertain it in a blind study. Dreamwood holds promise, at least on paper. Its real santalol, so for infusions, it should form the same esters and interesting science, without the cost, though it smells fairly uninsteresting to my nose. But if the esters are the goal and the extraction is the goal, should work fine.

Stretching with dreamwood+sandal seems interesting though, if thats able to add back a good portion of the creamy nature, or if it just lessens it, but we'll see.
 
Sinking 100yr old Indonesian heartwood oil - Santal & Oud. This is definitely up there with some of my more expensive sandalwood oils. You can smell the age and depth of the wood immediately. Although a fresh distill, the gourmand butteriness is very profound. has zero citrus or sparkling top notes. It's all heart and base.
 
I was wrong yesterday, i forgot about one more sample of sandalwood. Unfortunately, this one.. 'that boy ain't right'. It smells all wrong. Like a muskier wood up front instead of that classic sandal opening. Possibly Amyris or something? I'm not sure, but I suppose it was only a matter of time before just a poor one showed up. At least this was a 0.5ml sample. Funnily, not at the bottom of the price, but far higher. Though it was also the vendor that's oud sample was all wrong as well. Some samples have been quite good for the cost, others, poor.
 
Wearing a swipe of @AlHind Oud Mysuru Special. I wish I could remember more of the details/origin story of this one... it brings together some really fine aspects of the sandalwood aroma. Initially diffusive dry powdery in that light way that reminds me of the first snow of winter somehow; following that I picked up on that familiar clean nuttiness in the top notes that has often defined oil from India it seems. Making up the body is this soft sweet velvety woody fuzz which I know means that this is going to slowly release it scent for a very long time. Smells like high santalol, no oddball accessory notes - nice clean refined classic sandalwood
 
Wearing a swipe of @AlHind Oud Mysuru Special. I wish I could remember more of the details/origin story of this one... it brings together some really fine aspects of the sandalwood aroma. Initially diffusive dry powdery in that light way that reminds me of the first snow of winter somehow; following that I picked up on that familiar clean nuttiness in the top notes that has often defined oil from India it seems. Making up the body is this soft sweet velvety woody fuzz which I know means that this is going to slowly release it scent for a very long time. Smells like high santalol, no oddball accessory notes - nice clean refined classic sandalwood
Top tier sandalwood, I'm really glad I picked up a bottle
 
Wearing a swipe of @AlHind Oud Mysuru Special. I wish I could remember more of the details/origin story of this one... it brings together some really fine aspects of the sandalwood aroma. Initially diffusive dry powdery in that light way that reminds me of the first snow of winter somehow; following that I picked up on that familiar clean nuttiness in the top notes that has often defined oil from India it seems. Making up the body is this soft sweet velvety woody fuzz which I know means that this is going to slowly release it scent for a very long time. Smells like high santalol, no oddball accessory notes - nice clean refined classic sandalwood
That was a combined distillation of the old root and heartwood.
 
9regions sandalwood today (well yesterday applied). This is growing on me, as it's got very high tenacity as I'm still getting good notes of it from 12-18 hours ago application. The color is dark. I'm still slightly skeptical of its claims, but as he claims to distill this product himself from beadscrap, its at least hopefully not adulterated. No real off notes, but Mysore claims are sus as per usual. Pity that the best way to source it requires coupon scumming aliexpress, but at getting it half off with that route might as well. Will prob pick up another tola over time just to let it sit and age a bit. It does seem to last longer than liberty's
[Ouddict.com] Sandalwood oil of the day
 
Latimah - Ceylon Crème

This is an enjoyable sandalwood that’s creamy, buttery, woody, leathery, and slightly citrusy. It also smells somewhat aquatic. Could be used for blends or neat. I’m going to use it neat. Really nice and high-quality.

View attachment 55623
It's such a good sandalwood. Off the charts butter and cream. Great projection as well and staying power, which I can't say for a lot of others. Unsure about this aquatic note? Can you broaden that a little? For me, I'm getting a musky note that seems to be particular to this oil. I wonder if this is what you're talking about? Would you agree salty?
 
It's such a good sandalwood. Off the charts butter and cream. Great projection as well and staying power, which I can't say for a lot of others. Unsure about this aquatic note? Can you broaden that a little? For me, I'm getting a musky note that seems to be particular to this oil. I wonder if this is what you're talking about? Would you agree salty?
It definitely has staying power. Lasted more than most sandalwoods I have tried. It’s not aquatic in the oud sense. But I could get a slight watery smelling aroma sometimes. I didn’t get marine or salty note but I’ll look out for that next time. I didn’t pick up musky notes. The one thing that surprised me was the staying power. Lasted far more than I thought.
 
Back
Top