A few weeks ago I accidentally stumbled onto a new to me category of natural perfumers: "botanical perfumers", people who make their perfumes out of plants 🪴🌵☘️. It's more precise because natural means many things to many people.

There are countless botanical perfumers out there, many on Etsy. My favorite right now is a woman who has massive gardens in Vermont and Southern California. She makes her own enfleurages and tinctures 🌼🌺 and has an amazing nose. And does use occasional animalics 🐳. Right now I'm waiting for more samples and my first bottles and jars, 5 ml oils and pastes. Some of her perfumes are to die for 😍. If there is a drawback -- and I'm not sure it necessarily is -- it's that they sit fairly close to the skin. But that may partially be due to my ongoing sinus problems.
 
My incoming
A few weeks ago I accidentally stumbled onto a new to me category of natural perfumers: "botanical perfumers", people who make their perfumes out of plants 🪴🌵☘️. It's more precise because natural means many things to many people.

There are countless botanical perfumers out there, many on Etsy. My favorite right now is a woman who has massive gardens in Vermont and Southern California. She makes her own enfleurages and tinctures 🌼🌺 and has an amazing nose. And does use occasional animalics 🐳. Right now I'm waiting for more samples and my first bottles and jars, 5 ml oils and pastes. Some of her perfumes are to die for 😍. If there is a drawback -- and I'm not sure it necessarily is -- it's that they sit fairly close to the skin. But that may partially be due to my ongoing sinus problems.

at first I thought that maybe you meant making perfumes that don't have any animal ingredients, but now I think that what you mean is people who are literally extracting their own fragrance from plants that they grow (and not using any commercially produced oils)? I have some thoughts but whether they are relevant or not depends on what you mean!

Anyway, to me perfume that lives close to skin is respectful of other people's space - there's naught wrong with a bit of gentle and delicate fragrance!
 
Purchased the discovery set from @melkhaldi, so it shall arrive within a week.

WildVeilPerfumes (Vermont) has been a great find for me too but I found the perfumes too mild for my nose to detect. There are some nice date tinctures she added to her shop a while ago. Haven't made any recent order from her since last years' discovery set order.
 
@Mr.P The woman I adore, coincidentally the one @LibraryOfPerfumes just referred to, Wild Veil Perfumes, makes her own fragrances primarily from enfleurages and tinctures she makes from flowers in her gardens in So Cal and Vermont. She makes most things in liquid (vegan) form and also in paste, which has a beeswax base. She does outsource things she can't grow, and she does use animalics in some products -- musk, civet, ambergris, castoreum, etc. Most botanical perfumers don't take the product from field to bottle, as far as I can tell 🙂

She's outsourced some roses from Russia, etc. and initially some plumeria. But now she's growing eight or nine plumeria cultivars. She's growing tons of gardenia cultivars and jasmine too. I'd kill to see her gardens. They must be amazing 😍

"Anyway, to me perfume that lives close to skin is respectful of other people's space - there's naught wrong with a bit of gentle and delicate fragrance!" I agree with you here. There's plenty of fragrance that announces itself long before the wearer arrives. I never used to wear spray-ons, because they were too strong, I adore my Teone Reinthal sprays and will continue to wear them. These Wild Veil fragrances are simply a return to my quieter style.
 
@Mr.P The woman I adore, coincidentally the one @LibraryOfPerfumes just referred to, Wild Veil Perfumes, makes her own fragrances primarily from enfleurages and tinctures she makes from flowers in her gardens in So Cal and Vermont. She makes most things in liquid (vegan) form and also in paste, which has a beeswax base. She does outsource things she can't grow, and she does use animalics in some products -- musk, civet, ambergris, castoreum, etc. Most botanical perfumers don't take the product from field to bottle, as far as I can tell 🙂

She's outsourced some roses from Russia, etc. and initially some plumeria. But now she's growing eight or nine plumeria cultivars. She's growing tons of gardenia cultivars and jasmine too. I'd kill to see her gardens. They must be amazing 😍

"Anyway, to me perfume that lives close to skin is respectful of other people's space - there's naught wrong with a bit of gentle and delicate fragrance!" I agree with you here. There's plenty of fragrance that announces itself long before the wearer arrives. I never used to wear spray-ons, because they were too strong, I adore my Teone Reinthal sprays and will continue to wear them. These Wild Veil fragrances are simply a return to my quieter style.

My perfumes are all botanical in origin for whatever that is worth. If I start to use a oakmoss though they will have to also be considered fungal! Actually I guess if there's any oud involved you are a fungal perfumer. I call dibs on Fungal Perfumer ©️ ™️ ®️
 
well that sucks! 10 kilos of Australian sandalwood from New Mountain lost to customs
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] The Anticipation Thread - Share Your 'inbound's!
    Screenshot_20250413_143726_Chrome.webp
    33.7 KB · Views: 127
@Mr.P The woman I adore, coincidentally the one @LibraryOfPerfumes just referred to, Wild Veil Perfumes, makes her own fragrances primarily from enfleurages and tinctures she makes from flowers in her gardens in So Cal and Vermont. She makes most things in liquid (vegan) form and also in paste, which has a beeswax base. She does outsource things she can't grow, and she does use animalics in some products -- musk, civet, ambergris, castoreum, etc. Most botanical perfumers don't take the product from field to bottle, as far as I can tell 🙂

She's outsourced some roses from Russia, etc. and initially some plumeria. But now she's growing eight or nine plumeria cultivars. She's growing tons of gardenia cultivars and jasmine too. I'd kill to see her gardens. They must be amazing 😍

"Anyway, to me perfume that lives close to skin is respectful of other people's space - there's naught wrong with a bit of gentle and delicate fragrance!" I agree with you here. There's plenty of fragrance that announces itself long before the wearer arrives. I never used to wear spray-ons, because they were too strong, I adore my Teone Reinthal sprays and will continue to wear them. These Wild Veil fragrances are simply a return to my quieter style.
I haven’t tried any fragrance from Wild Veil but I have a handful of her non-combustible loose incense blends. Really interesting stuff, like a deconstructed Neri-koh. The Scented Djinn on Etsy also makes botanical fragrance, soap, and incense.
 
I haven’t tried any fragrance from Wild Veil but I have a handful of her non-combustible loose incense blends. Really interesting stuff, like a deconstructed Neri-koh. The Scented Djinn on Etsy also makes botanical fragrance, soap, and incense.
Good to hear! I've eyed them but haven't tried them. She does a great flair for combining ingredients.
 
Last edited:
well that sucks! 10 kilos of Australian sandalwood from New Mountain lost to customs
Oh no! Have you bought smaller amounts of the sandalwood from them before? Meaning: It's not Australian sandalwood itself that's the problem, it's something about that shipment, the amount or the paperwork.

Last year, between the election and the inauguration, I had tons of problems getting larger Teone Reinthal packages cleared. But customs didn't flat out reject them. Rather they put both me and Teone through a bunch of paperwork hoops. We both had to answer tons of questions, sign documents, etc. Did you have to do any of that?
 
Payan Bertrand Jasmine absolute "extra" Egypt on the way, nice big bottle.

This will be my third batch of this oil, both of the previous batches were excellent and each had its unique qualities. Wondering what this batch will be like. There are some truly super duper jasmine depths to these, they smell a little different every time and if you hit them the right way they just sing
 
I've mentioned this before but I just confirmed today that I do in fact have a very nice collection of extraction gear coming my way. This is a dream set up, the kind of extraction apparatus that make all of these things possible that have been nothing but a fantasy up until this point. Hexane extraction, alcohol extraction, solvent recovery, vacuum distillation, fractionation of oils… All under extremely controlled conditions.

I am incredibly excited to delve into technical extractions... both for my own perfumes and to share with others. Good times on the horizon here - my mind is reeling with possibilities.

Very grateful to @Loulikesoud for his support here.
 
Y’all are gone drive me to the poorhouse

The whole "perfume business" is really an excuse to order more oils for me lol it's just a cover
 
Top