Sulaym had some sort of flash sale and I am a fool with no self-control, so naturally I bought 2.5g of something I know virtually nothing about, Imperial Maroke (https://sulaym.co.uk/products/imperial-maroke).

Anyway, what's the deal with Papuan oud? According to this (https://www.ensaroud.com/blog/maroke-a-personal-history/) Maroke is a bit of a mixed bag in terms of reception: the region has apparently produced a small number of some of the finest oud specimens known to man, and a large amount of complete crap stemming from oud producers pulling rotted trees out of swamps and making disgusting swamp slop. Seems like a lot of the folks in this thread had similarly mixed experiences (https://www.ouddict.com/threads/papua-merauke-maroke-gyrinops-or-filaria.669/)

So what am I in for? Foul motor oil swamp slop that was distilled at way too high of a temperature? Or something truly mindblowing? I've loved everything I've bought from Sulaym so far, so I am optimistic, but I'll reserve my judgement until I've experienced it firsthand.
 
Sulaym had some sort of flash sale and I am a fool with no self-control, so naturally I bought 2.5g of something I know virtually nothing about, Imperial Maroke (https://sulaym.co.uk/products/imperial-maroke).

Anyway, what's the deal with Papuan oud? According to this (https://www.ensaroud.com/blog/maroke-a-personal-history/) Maroke is a bit of a mixed bag in terms of reception: the region has apparently produced a small number of some of the finest oud specimens known to man, and a large amount of complete crap stemming from oud producers pulling rotted trees out of swamps and making disgusting swamp slop. Seems like a lot of the folks in this thread had similarly mixed experiences (https://www.ouddict.com/threads/papua-merauke-maroke-gyrinops-or-filaria.669/)

So what am I in for? Foul motor oil swamp slop that was distilled at way too high of a temperature? Or something truly mindblowing? I've loved everything I've bought from Sulaym so far, so I am optimistic, but I'll reserve my judgement until I've experienced it firsthand.
I mean pulling rotted trees out of swamps don't sound appealing but just wait till you try soil agarwoods, personally I prefer them to wild kinam. There's a difference between normally seen Maroke woods which are deadwood or soil wood (I think of them interchangeably) versus something like Maroke Hayy or the above ground parts, both have different scents, at least from what I gather.

Papuan ouds though aren't just Maroke but there's also Irian woods, and also Jayapura, I have woods and oils from each region, with the exception of an Irian oil. What I'm trying to say is, there's a lot of variance in this region, and what complicates it more is that Maroke is also a "type", in that it has special characteristics. Some people like those characteristics while others don't. Not to mention the whole gyrinops and Filaria issue.

The way I think about it, and from the oils I've experienced, Gyrinops is incense-y leather, often times with hints of green, sometimes amped up quite a bit. Filaria is more antique woods and leather, there's an incense-y quality but it's also never green, instead its dark and phenolic. Imperial Maroke from Sulaym feels Gyrinops to me, slightly leaning towards Filaria, at least that's what I feel, but I could be wrong. Merauke Shirin from TheOudLab is Gyrinops for sure, while Al Hind Oud's Aqsa 2004 is Filaria. So is Oudique's Maroke Qadeem as well as HabzOud's Maroke Qadeem. Almost forgot Al Hashimi's Maroke Thaqeel which is more traditional Maroke Filaria and Al Hashimi's Maroke Sultani which ...... I can't even talk about that oil, it's too profound for words, near to the same level as TheOudLab's Papua 2003, both of these oils just stop me in my tracks, one cannot praise them enough in my eyes!

Okay I should mention Oud Royale 1982, that's the jewel Ensar might be speaking off, but there's been some discussion as to whether it's a co-distillation with Malay woods, I don't really have an opinion, I have some, I enjoy it, it's brilliant.
 
Last edited:
I mean pulling rotted trees out of swamps don't sound appealing but just wait till you try soil agarwoods, personally I prefer them to wild kinam. There's a difference between normally seen Maroke woods which are deadwood or soil wood (I think of them interchangeably) versus something like Maroke Hayy or the above ground parts, both have different scents, at least from what I gather.

Papuan ouds though aren't just Maroke but there's also Irian woods, and also Jayapura, I have woods and oils from each region, with the exception of an Irian oil. What I'm trying to say is, there's a lot of variance in this region, and what complicates it more is that Maroke is also a "type", in that it has special characteristics. Some people like those characteristics while others don't. Not to mention the whole gyrinops and Filaria issue.

The way I think about it, and from the oils I've experienced, Gyrinops is incense-y leather, often times with hints of green, sometimes amped up quite a bit. Filaria is more antique woods and leather, there's an incense-y quality but it's also never green, instead its dark and phenolic. Imperial Maroke from Sulaym feels Gyrinops to me, slightly leaning towards Filaria, at least that's what I feel, but I could be wrong. Merauke Shirin from TheOudLab is Gyrinops for sure, while Al Hind Oud's Aqsa 2004 is Filaria. So is Oudique's Maroke Qadeem as well as HabzOud's Maroke Qadeem. Almost forgot Al Hashimi's Maroke Thaqeel which is more traditional Maroke Filaria and Al Hashimi's Maroke Sultani which ...... I can't even talk about that oil, it's too profound for words, near to the same level as TheOudLab's Papua 2003, both of these oils just stop me in my tracks, one cannot praise them enough in my eyes!

Okay I should mention Oud Royale 1982, that's the jewel Ensar might be speaking off, but there's been some discussion as to whether it's a co-distillation with Malay woods, I don't really have an opinion, I have some, I enjoy it, it's brilliant.
Interesting. So it sounds like generalizing Papuan ouds isn't appropriate given the wide-variety, but that the term "Maroke" is somewhat of a colloquial term used to describe a specific set of scent characteristics attributable to ouds stemming from this region? In any case, have you worn Sulaym's Imperial Maroke, and what characteristics would you attribute to it specifically?
 
Interesting. So it sounds like generalizing Papuan ouds isn't appropriate given the wide-variety, but that the term "Maroke" is somewhat of a colloquial term used to describe a specific set of scent characteristics attributable to ouds stemming from this region? In any case, have you worn Sulaym's Imperial Maroke, and what characteristics would you attribute to it specifically?
I feel like the term Maroke is associated with with a specific profile which has a few variations. One shared characteristic is a kind of mud cloth note, and a peculiar almost damp quality, I perceive it as a sort of "flat" note (not sure why) with an herbal and mineral quality that brings patchouli to mind. In the lower quality oils that flat dull patchouli is the long and short of it. In the high grade oils, it is backed by deep rich saturated tangy resinous and cola-like qualities that transform the "flat" note into something intriguing and more of an accent to that deep resinous presence rather than the dominant aroma. The good stuff is so freaking good and the mediocre stuff is utterly uninteresting, to me.
 
Just arrived.😁 Thanks mate! @AlHind Oud
1000012219.jpg
 
Top