I was just getting back into my oud stash and not really buying again when he released Thai Zen. I almost bought a gram, but it sold out before I went for it.

I have the Koh Zen, and I've worn it quite a bit and I'm not sure how I feel about it. The opening always has an iodine-like aroma, which most gulf style do to me, and sometimes once that passes it hits really good or just meh. It's a strange one.
I'm totally on the same page with you there. I also have Pursat Zen. It's same, same but different against Koh Zen. Sometimes I love them, other times not so much. Thai Zen is a fruity beast though and my favourite out of the three. It doesn't have the iodine note.
You guys inspired me to wear Thai Zen for this morning's dawn prayer, and boy was it an experience! Using a plastic toothpick today, even a fairly heavy would be swipe, collected to a dot, so there were no excess because the excess dropped back into the vial, with glass sticks this isn't the case usually.

When it comes to scent there's something special here! I knew this had a very minty top to it, with that preserved fruit note Thai ouds are famous for, but there's an additional "chewy" note, which makes me salivate. It's a note I've found and cherish in the likes of Cambodi Royale and to an extent Kambodi Katheef III. It's a milky antiseptic incense fume sort of smell which I associate with red Cambodis. It projects quite well at the top, even being a thick and aged oil, and its scent bubble is so presidential/official, it's not a playful oil but serious, captivating and evokes gravitas! It's almost a reference Cambodi, at least profile wise, or the profile of Cambodis I adore the most. That aroma of slightly fermented cherries and deep red almost blackish plums but a hint of blueberry but encased, almost fumigated in incense smoke 🤤 The dry down is also quite light, not weak but in the sense that its not an overdose of sugar, woody and airy!
 
You guys inspired me to wear Thai Zen for this morning's dawn prayer, and boy was it an experience! Using a plastic toothpick today, even a fairly heavy would be swipe, collected to a dot, so there were no excess because the excess dropped back into the vial, with glass sticks this isn't the case usually.

When it comes to scent there's something special here! I knew this had a very minty top to it, with that preserved fruit note Thai ouds are famous for, but there's an additional "chewy" note, which makes me salivate. It's a note I've found and cherish in the likes of Cambodi Royale and to an extent Kambodi Katheef III. It's a milky antiseptic incense fume sort of smell which I associate with red Cambodis. It projects quite well at the top, even being a thick and aged oil, and its scent bubble is so presidential/official, it's not a playful oil but serious, captivating and evokes gravitas! It's almost a reference Cambodi, at least profile wise, or the profile of Cambodis I adore the most. That aroma of slightly fermented cherries and deep red almost blackish plums but a hint of blueberry but encased, almost fumigated in incense smoke 🤤 The dry down is also quite light, not weak but in the sense that its not an overdose of sugar, woody and airy!
Your description makes me want to buy it!
 
You guys inspired me to wear Thai Zen for this morning's dawn prayer, and boy was it an experience! Using a plastic toothpick today, even a fairly heavy would be swipe, collected to a dot, so there were no excess because the excess dropped back into the vial, with glass sticks this isn't the case usually.

When it comes to scent there's something special here! I knew this had a very minty top to it, with that preserved fruit note Thai ouds are famous for, but there's an additional "chewy" note, which makes me salivate. It's a note I've found and cherish in the likes of Cambodi Royale and to an extent Kambodi Katheef III. It's a milky antiseptic incense fume sort of smell which I associate with red Cambodis. It projects quite well at the top, even being a thick and aged oil, and its scent bubble is so presidential/official, it's not a playful oil but serious, captivating and evokes gravitas! It's almost a reference Cambodi, at least profile wise, or the profile of Cambodis I adore the most. That aroma of slightly fermented cherries and deep red almost blackish plums but a hint of blueberry but encased, almost fumigated in incense smoke 🤤 The dry down is also quite light, not weak but in the sense that its not an overdose of sugar, woody and airy!
After all this discussion, I couldn't very well not use a dot of it myself. Has been a little while. Very interesting your comparisons with a reference or red Cambodian. It's these notes that I especially love about Cambodi's and that which makes this oil a standout as a Thai. On the eternal hunt for something similar. I'm led to believe Thaquel S - TOL might be closest but I'm yet to get some.
 
Ensar just dropped a new release…

Archipelago

I’ll let you know how it goes. There’s a 15% code right now if you wanna check it out


When you look back at 21 years of oud, a handful of jungles stand out. You remember certain distillations with special fondness. Profiles that trigger the struggle they took to create… and the olfactory magic that followed.

You recall ouds that rewrote what we thought oud could be; ones that take you back to breakthrough moments. Somehow losing a one-ton container while driving back from Cambodia at 2am, only half-awake. The toil that comes with this labor of love, and the joy.

Twenty-one years in, it’s hard to choose one oud to represent the journey. But there’s an oud that captures the arc of that journey. Maybe that’s why it’s always held a special spot in oud lovers’ hearts over the past twenty years.

Till this day, one name always comes up. Archipelago may be the most oft-requested oud, especially by longtime Oriscent collectors. An oud that doesn’t just showcase a region, but captures the shape of the journey. Not as a greatest hits compilation, but as an olfactory testament to this crazy aromatic.

The original 2005 batch set a near-impossible benchmark, and yet every edition since has honored it – stood its ground and carried the weight of its name to satisfy that legendary crave. That’s why we’ve only ever offered a handful, and why all of them have sold out fast.

So, this one goes out to the old timers. The ones who have been on this journey since we collected our first drops, but also to everyone who joined the caravan along the way. To commemorate not just our 21st, but to commemorate OUD!
Very detailed - as usual - description of a multi Oud composition on the website
 
Thats not new 😂
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] The Anticipation Thread - Share Your 'inbound's!
    image.webp
    58.3 KB · Views: 109
Thats not new 😂
As per the email sent it should be obvious that there are multiple batches of this oil.

“The original 2005 batch set a near-impossible benchmark, and yet every edition since has honored it – stood its ground and carried the weight of its name to satisfy that legendary crave. That’s why we’ve only ever offered a handful, and why all of them have sold out fast.”
 
As per the email sent it should be obvious that there are multiple batches of this oil.

“The original 2005 batch set a near-impossible benchmark, and yet every edition since has honored it – stood its ground and carried the weight of its name to satisfy that legendary crave. That’s why we’ve only ever offered a handful, and why all of them have sold out fast.”

Is this talking about the 2005 archipelago? Hardly an impossible benchmark - just a decent island gaharu. I recall it well.
 
Finally got an order in with hakim at OudSg. 10% off this weekend guys.

Laos kham, Maroke 2017,
Malay rose sample, and I believe he'll include a Viet Ateeq sample for me.

Riau and green malay will be on the chopping block for next time. 😈
 
Ensar just dropped a new release…

Archipelago

I’ll let you know how it goes. There’s a 15% code right now if you wanna check it out



Very detailed - as usual - description of a multi Oud composition on the website
I also would love to know about this one... I tested the 2005 and it was really amazing. The 2019 was not so good....

maybe this one is good.

Did someone order it?
 
Top