Being overwhelmed with oud oils, I have neither mental nor financial means to dabble in attars. Like with perfumery (or perhaps even more than that), I feel like the composition aspect of attars makes the selection process as a consumer one that is really built on trust in the composer or just sheer luck through trial and error. And the trust in not just in the skill of the artisan, but in how well the product happens to line up with subjective preferences (which can be so fickle).

For these reasons, the sample I got of Habzoud's Attar Nasr got crowded out by all the other things I got in the same order. I was very fond of it at first sniff and the too-few sniffs thereafter, I just haven't had as much time with it. I checked out the Habz website, and it is SPOT ON. I've never seen a brand describe their products as appropriately as he does. It is a gift.
I get a very dense (and complex), green cut stem that is not juicy or too vegetal, but I can't imagine what it is in that ingredient list that results in that? Maybe the vetiver, but what in the world kind of vetiver smells like that?! Attar nasr is clearly artisanal in smell but reminds me of an evolved (and evolving) version of my favourite Guerlains and Chanels that are in a similar genre. Somehow, while still having an accessible animalic shade (my first association was with the Prin/Prissana fragrance that had goat hair in it, I was convinced this did too).

I never actually check out descriptions on websites, I was there because when I smelled Attar Nasr about an hour after applying it, my reflex was to buy some more. I'm not in a position to at the moment, but what you get for that price point...madness.
 
Aroma Sublime : Frangipani Pure Premium Essential Oil

"Featuring top notes of muscat, peach, apricot, nectarine, honeydew, and bright spring wild honey....."

This stuff is just beautiful. Refreshing in every way. I could drink this.
I'm craving warm weather and sunshine, and this brings me to it.
Apparently there's even a grade above this. Not sure how this can get better.
If there is one, bring it henceforth, post-haste!
 
Zabab 1 and karakhass 2010 - both from @Saudalhajri

Zabad 1 begins with an ambery honey note. After a few hours, my favorite part begins, the civet starts to become quite animalic and balanced with the amber, very addictive! and continues for more than 24 hours. Very strong! Karakhass complements the initial phase of Zabad 1 and gives a resinous nuance at the end.

Beautiful blend! The zabad and the oil are high quality, thanks Saoud to give me the opportunity to experience this.
IMG_4161.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Zabab 1 and karakhass 2010 - both from @Saudalhajri

Zabad 1 begins with an ambery honey note. After a few hours, my favorite part begins, the civet starts to become quite animalic and balanced with the amber, very addictive! and continues for more than 24 hours. Very strong! Karakhass complements the initial phase of Zabad 1 and gives a resinous nuance at the end.

Beautiful blend! The zabad and the oil are high quality, thanks Saoud to give me the opportunity to experience this.
View attachment 52797
Bueno you’re here! Very happy to see you on Ouddict , and happier that you’re enjoying these. That small amount of civet will be enough for many years 😎
 
Oudique Multazam - I really enjoy this one. The opening gives me hippy head-shop vibes (which I happen to like!), but there is a deep and rather beautiful oudiness and stick-incense character which emerge as the attar dries down. It has a fastidiously clean sense to it - like a ‘fresh-out-of-the-shower’ impression - despite containing musk.

It’s very strong stuff - only a small dot on the wrist is needed. I have another 2 grams to go after this half-gram is finished. Probably a lifetime supply at this rate….

IMG_0590.jpeg
 
Lupus & Vega - Oud Brotherhood

I was in the mood for something floral, and more, something with Jasmine. This one hits the spot! I also got the Rose Bark as well as a few samples (I haven't yet had enough time to properly evaluate.) This was my first purchase and it won't be my last.
 
scent_talks - Vetiver Extraordinaire

The green vetiver opens crisp, clean, and chlorophyllic. Accentuated by lime and pink peppercorn. Then a heart of geranium, orange blossom and red rose offer a beautiful lift. At the base, Trat oud, and sandalwood provide depth. There is supposed to be civet paste but I’m not picking it up. All of this is spiced by cinnamon and cardamom and brightened by pineapple nuances that keeps the composition light. Absolutely gorgeous!
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_2329.webp
    71.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
AlHind Oud - Bilquis 3. Has been a minute since i've worn this. I pulled it out randomly last night to wear before bed. It projects this delicious golden honey scent. I don't remember it being like this? Very much the best version of an already amazing attar.
 
Thanks to @Olfactory Nomad for pointing out that this review belonged here! Apologies, all, I really have no clue what I’m doing!



Some early thoughts on Muschouli by @Al Shareef Oudh from earlier today. These comments are to be taken with a substantial grain of salt considering my lack of experience!

I did note, almost immediately, this intense leathery aroma that made me think of being on this huge leather couch my parents used to have at their home. It was met almost immediately by this animalic partner and they kinda teamed up for a little bit in a duet that was really pleasant. I then started picking up this oxidized, wet leaves note that reminded me a lot of the sweetness that comes with a ripe puerh tea (one of my favorite aromas!), only with a hint of some wet, mossy boulder and even notes of peppermint that rounded it all out really nicely in this green aura.

I can’t comment on much beyond that because, as I kept smelling it, this stinging curiosity wouldn’t leave me alone - I needed to know how it smelled with Zamarad 3. To my untrained and wildly inexperienced nose, they seemed meant for each other. That somewhat stoic, brawny undertone of the Muschouli felt like it’d be the perfect setting for Zamarad 3’s flightiness, and I’ve gotta say the combination is truly special. This won’t be the last time they meet!
 
Kishmir - An Najwa.
Version 1.
Opens up with a whirlwind of ice cold minty rose, spices & indolic tropical florals. Super fresh, breezy yet a complexity hints at what’s to come….
The heart is dominated by Jasmine Sambac, a wonderful floral bouquet; cold earthy powdery Orris & a very pronounced ripe peach quality provided by what smells like Osmanthus, honey & black tea. The grassy, rooty, earthy note of Ruh Khus begins to emerge, a strategic positioning of this note linking the mid to the base.
The dry down is magical, although Kishmir is a classical floral Indian attar, the florals take a seat to let the resinous woody Hindi Oud sing, earthy emerald green Khus, leathery-furry majestic Musk, chalky-mineral Ambergris, ambery Labdanum, creamy buttery Mysore Sandalwood.
A beautiful incense & vintage leather, elevated by the poignant Musk. It’s fascinating to watch it age over the last 2 years, becoming smoother & richer. Jasmine-Peach-Incense-Leather-Musk. Probably the best floral attar in my collection, the blending is masterful, brother Jabeer has a sophisticated touch when working with florals.
 
Last edited:
Thanks to @Olfactory Nomad for pointing out that this review belonged here! Apologies, all, I really have no clue what I’m doing!



Some early thoughts on Muschouli by @Al Shareef Oudh from earlier today. These comments are to be taken with a substantial grain of salt considering my lack of experience!

I did note, almost immediately, this intense leathery aroma that made me think of being on this huge leather couch my parents used to have at their home. It was met almost immediately by this animalic partner and they kinda teamed up for a little bit in a duet that was really pleasant. I then started picking up this oxidized, wet leaves note that reminded me a lot of the sweetness that comes with a ripe puerh tea (one of my favorite aromas!), only with a hint of some wet, mossy boulder and even notes of peppermint that rounded it all out really nicely in this green aura.

I can’t comment on much beyond that because, as I kept smelling it, this stinging curiosity wouldn’t leave me alone - I needed to know how it smelled with Zamarad 3. To my untrained and wildly inexperienced nose, they seemed meant for each other. That somewhat stoic, brawny undertone of the Muschouli felt like it’d be the perfect setting for Zamarad 3’s flightiness, and I’ve gotta say the combination is truly special. This won’t be the last time they meet!
For someone new to Oud & perfumery in general, you have a great nose & a brilliant ability to express what you’re smelling, which is particularly difficult considering the complexity of these natural aromatics. Bravo!
 
ASO - Ward Al-Taifi (with Siberian Musk, 1 year old) - I was preparing a quarter tola with about 3 drops of Taifi rose, and I thought to myself, why not use some rose oil which I'd been macerating some musk grains in? So I did and while I'll let that rest a bit before talking about it, a tiny bit spilled on the neck, and I quickly rubbed it on my fingers and then onto my shirt sleeves. Then I applied some to my wrists, remember this is just remnants, and folks the scent is indescribable! First off, it smells completely difference on my shirt sleeve, floral, aromatic, citrus-y and just a hint of spice, I wish I could bottle that scent and use it as a spray!! On my wrist the scent is more how I remember the neat oil being, however with this furry undertone, like velvet texturally, sweet and cooling, and a bit of the sharpness of the neat otto is gone but what's replaced it, is anything but reduction! I really like this shirt, but if I had the ability to, I'd cut chunks out and send it to you guys .... 🤤

ASO, if you guys sold this, perhaps as a pairing with the Mysore Maceration I think it would be game over!
are you selling 🙂
 
Lupus & Vega - Shamama Agarwood

It’s that time of night to apply this before I sleep. A beautiful mix of Agarwood and Indian Sandalwood with a slight zesty and pepperiness to it. It renders me calm and cozy. I’ve got it resting next to me.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_1488_11zon.webp
    111.2 KB · Views: 34
Wearing an amber blend I made for my own amusement - tonka, benzoin, tolu, ambrette, balsam peru, styrax, vanilla, clary, bergamot, sweet orange, patchouli, labdanum, oud, rose, and a half dozen or so other materials. This is a blend that I am fascinated with - makes a great personal scent if applied with moderation and I'm fascinated with trying to modify and alter it because there is so much potential with all of these different wonderful base materials for very beautiful and very long lasting transitions on skin. One basic thing I'm trying to figure out now is if there is some more optimal ratio of citrus to the other elements than I've settled on for this batch, and also if I may want to introduce some different types of citrus to the blend or just stick with what I've got.
 
Wearing an amber blend I made for my own amusement - tonka, benzoin, tolu, ambrette, balsam peru, styrax, vanilla, clary, bergamot, sweet orange, patchouli, labdanum, oud, rose, and a half dozen or so other materials. This is a blend that I am fascinated with - makes a great personal scent if applied with moderation and I'm fascinated with trying to modify and alter it because there is so much potential with all of these different wonderful base materials for very beautiful and very long lasting transitions on skin. One basic thing I'm trying to figure out now is if there is some more optimal ratio of citrus to the other elements than I've settled on for this batch, and also if I may want to introduce some different types of citrus to the blend or just stick with what I've got.
That note list looks like perfection on paper, I’m sure it smells amazing. I’m a big fan of the traditional amber accords. I can imagine how versatile is it for the perfumer!
 
IMG_8092.jpeg

I was sent this attar sample from An Najwa several years ago, I’m not sure if it was officially released?
It’s tragic I only have a few drops left because Khorasan is sublime, the best Saffron attar I’ve smelled!
Super simple; a bright citrusy minty Damascena Rose (possibly Ruh Gulab), a subtle Musk-Sandalwood & a massive Saffron. High grade Saffron is a beautiful thing! While pleasant, the lower grades have a bitterness & a one dimensional aroma, while the good stuff is very complex & rounded.
Spicy, leathery, floral. Austere, yet warm. In Khorasan, the delicate Rose/Musk is blended pitch perfectly, where it tricks me into thinking it’s a floral/musky facet of the Saffron itself.
As it dries, I detect a faint dry woodiness. Again, I’m not sure if this is a facet of the Saffron or Jabeer has selected a particularly dry Sandalwood to complement the Saffron’s dry character. Aside from the Saffron, the other materials are dosed extremely light, they are there merely to subtly enhance the star of the show & the fixate the attar to the skin.
Quiet & not particularly long lasting, but I want to keep on reapplying to experience that wonderful blast of quality Saffron in the top notes.
Saffron the king of spices!
 
Lupus & Vega - Botanical Remembrance

I’ve learned a lot of things from @Joe as he composes unique concoctions that I don’t smell anywhere else. This iteration presents itself as ambrette seed mixed with sandalwood. I had no idea ambrette seed was a plant-based alternative to musk. It’s very unique. I’m getting charred banana and toasted seed notes along with the zest of the sandalwood. It’s a welcome distraction from all the commotion happening in my house this weekend. That’s the beauty of L&V - it’s a gateway to a library of olfactory satisfaction.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_2341.webp
    58.4 KB · Views: 22
Lupus & Vega - Oud Brotherhood

I was in the mood for something floral, and more, something with Jasmine. This one hits the spot! I also got the Rose Bark as well as a few samples (I haven't yet had enough time to properly evaluate.) This was my first purchase and it won't be my last.
Thank you, fellow oud-lover. I’m glad you like it. It has a lot of oud in it. The formula is actually pretty easy to medium-diffcult. Not that hard—I replied on the ingredients. There’s a review of Jupien by @mobyus that has stuck with me, and that only had two materials in it.
 
Back
Top