Areej Le Dore - Galia

There was a time when this Galia struck fear into my heart from the animalics. Not anymore. I am fully embracing and enjoying the melange that is this beauty of a Galia. It’s raw and unapologetic in its ingredients. Honest and upfront.

The musk is balanced beautifully against the Vietnamese Oud and pines. The vintage rose and jasmine provide a comforting sweet yet subtle blanket by juxtaposing against the musk. It all just marries beautifully together. In my own beginner efforts to emulate such an artistic expression, I feel I am close. But this is just absolutely gorgeous!
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_2659.webp
    128.7 KB · Views: 0
  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_2660.webp
    197.5 KB · Views: 0
  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_2662.webp
    88.3 KB · Views: 0
  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_2664.webp
    58.5 KB · Views: 0
Al Hashimi l-Ghalia today. This is the best musky perfume I own. Rich, layered muskiness, but with zero piss (unlike my own macerations, which I also love but have developed a slight pissy note). The rosy top notes here are divine, and I love how prominent these are in the beginning. This one was sold (with refreshing marketing blurb) as a nerfed version of Ghalia Abassi, but it doesn’t feel ‘discount’ in any way, shape or form.
 
Sulaym QOTN - couldn’t find any info about this on the website or via Google.

I dumped out the whole sample on wrists, backs of hands and hair.

At first it struck me as powdery, narcotic, floral, slightly citrusy, but it very quickly settles into what I think I recognise as violet…like candied violet petals? Certainly could be wrong, and it wouldn’t be the first time I have embarrassed myself trying to guess florals. It’s good, though. Wouldn’t expect anything less from Sulaym at this point.
 
Lupus & Vega - Prayers/Wordless

It’s been a long time since I’ve applied this. L & V always smells unique to me from other attars. It opens with an aquatic ozony smokiness. It has a strong spicy yet mellow white/yellow fruit incense quality. The frankincense, myrrh, creamy sandalwood , and melange of spices provide warmth to the overall scent. I’m also getting cola notes. Really amazing stuff and one of my personal favorites from L & V.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_2156.webp
    88.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Deg distilled pink damascena rose otto from Hasayan village is my "attar" of the moment. Beautiful delicate rosey and spicy facets, balanced opening without "sweaty" or overblown notes.
 
Today I was in NYC with some time on hand, so I had the pleasure of dropping by Stele and meet the famous @Joe from Lupus & Vega.

Amazing to experience the warmth and generosity of course. But had even more fun fragging out on his awesome perfumes, Odysseus and Hades.

Then we stepped up the fun and I got to try out his latest parfum formulas in making and have a couple of precious samples!

Finally broke out the real back room stuff - Jupien (which I have), odette de cercy and Persian rose.

The last 2 are not on his website atm. Odette de cercy is a deeply personal homage/ blend of oud and orris, that is just classic L&V - florals that never end and ouds that warms the heart.

Lastly, tried the Persian Rose - a rose and oud mukhallat. My immediate reaction was to rack my brain on where I may have smelled this preciousness before. It was @mesOUD s incredible Begum 2 rose. That fading rose just permeates your nose, skin, clothing etc. Once it does, it never leaves your olfactory memories.

Immediately bought a bottle - and feeling grateful to walk and talk among such masters.

Thanks @Joe! Manifesting scent expo 2026 so I can do this again asap.
 
Today I was in NYC with some time on hand, so I had the pleasure of dropping by Stele and meet the famous @Joe from Lupus & Vega.

Amazing to experience the warmth and generosity of course. But had even more fun fragging out on his awesome perfumes, Odysseus and Hades.

Then we stepped up the fun and I got to try out his latest parfum formulas in making and have a couple of precious samples!

Finally broke out the real back room stuff - Jupien (which I have), odette de cercy and Persian rose.

The last 2 are not on his website atm. Odette de cercy is a deeply personal homage/ blend of oud and orris, that is just classic L&V - florals that never end and ouds that warms the heart.

Lastly, tried the Persian Rose - a rose and oud mukhallat. My immediate reaction was to rack my brain on where I may have smelled this preciousness before. It was @mesOUD s incredible Begum 2 rose. That fading rose just permeates your nose, skin, clothing etc. Once it does, it never leaves your olfactory memories.

Immediately bought a bottle - and feeling grateful to walk and talk among such masters.

Thanks @Joe! Manifesting scent expo 2026 so I can do this again asap.
Wow. Nice way to wake up to a Friday! I have to say, @p$yl35h , you certainly know your stuff. We talked about all sorts of things—the piercing effect of galbanum on the nose, the longevity issues with some naturals, your adorable 7-month year old, and that non-New Yorker attitude. Meaning, what a great guy you are. And thus far, I have found that a trait with all from Ouddict I got to meet in person! You’re a great, knowledgeable guy. Now that I’m finally better, let’s get to that application! Oh and thank you for the gift. I’m about to try it now.

Glad you got in safe from your trip.
 
Wearing some very beautiful ruh gulab (damascena) from @AlHind Oud - always wonderful to experience specimen selected by somebody with a real love of the material. Beautiful classic rose otto
 
Wow. Nice way to wake up to a Friday! I have to say, @p$yl35h , you certainly know your stuff. We talked about all sorts of things—the piercing effect of galbanum on the nose, the longevity issues with some naturals, your adorable 7-month year old, and that non-New Yorker attitude. Meaning, what a great guy you are. And thus far, I have found that a trait with all from Ouddict I got to meet in person! You’re a great, knowledgeable guy. Now that I’m finally better, let’s get to that application! Oh and thank you for the gift. I’m about to try it now.

Glad you got in safe from your trip.
🙏🙏🙏 looks like I successfully manifested the scent expo to reality 😂😂😂
 
Sulaym - Burāq

This blue lotus ghalia has been my obsession of the week. It opens with a harmonious chord of deep, intoxicating, sweet tropical florals. It also leans fruity, reminding me a little of banana.

The drydown is earthier and a little more powdery, with the orris being particularly prominent to my nose. I’m not generally the biggest fan of orris - sometimes it can be too ‘rooty’ for me - but here it works well and seems to fix the aroma nicely despite this being a very runny/low-viscosity attar.

This is a terrific hot-weather attar.

[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Costus is amazing stuff and hard to find. Like elecampane, IFRA doesn't like it because (like peanut butter) it can be allergenic. this would be a good one to test on a small patch of skin before taking a big swipe but it's never causing irritation for me.

An amazing aroma though, one you should study on its own if you have an interest in Japanese incense especially in the style of Baieido traditional blends.

Because I couldn't find the oil I made my own extract - this was a successful extraction: good yield, potent, brings in the key facets of the scent. would be a very easy DIY and even the tincture would function fine because of the strength of the aroma.

It is musky, with a strange variation on a more or less violet note - not sweet: dry, austere abstract; medicinal, earthy, phenolic; distinct aroma of fur, animalic, and with a strange exalting sweet tang.

Elecampane is another amazing root aroma and fixative that I don't see often enough, amazing persistent sweet exalting floral with a deep maple type of base, and something like a clean human skin scent. truly exotic materials with very distinctive facets that are not presented by any other oils

IMG_9917.webp
 
🙂
Would costus require fresh dried roots?
I've seen it for sale as medicinal powder i think.
I think it can acquire an obnoxious note if the roots are extremely old and not stored well. I haven't experienced it but a monograph from a reliable source indicates that it can go off.
 
Wow. Nice way to wake up to a Friday! I have to say, @p$yl35h , you certainly know your stuff. We talked about all sorts of things—the piercing effect of galbanum on the nose, the longevity issues with some naturals, your adorable 7-month year old, and that non-New Yorker attitude. Meaning, what a great guy you are. And thus far, I have found that a trait with all from Ouddict I got to meet in person! You’re a great, knowledgeable guy. Now that I’m finally better, let’s get to that application! Oh and thank you for the gift. I’m about to try it now.

Glad you got in safe from your trip.
Do you have things currently in stock at Stele? I went t to the one in Nolita last time I was in town a few weeks ago but didn’t see any. I’m back now and staying around the corner from the Williamsburg store right now.
 
Last edited:
Oudique - Hakuko (sample)

I’m hit with a combination of floral intense tuberose balanced by the beautiful smell of musk. The tuberose is so potent that you would think it would drown out the musk but this is not the case here. I’m getting notes of watermelon 🍉 and pear 🍐 . The sandalwood is a great carrier here and the Hindi oud provides a nice warm lift to the whole composition. It’s a very floral attar where the tuberose doesn’t dissipate. It is sustained throughout the wear. The patchouli anchors the blend very well. A very beautiful attar all around.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_2686.webp
    118.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back
Top