Ghallia Parfums - Qi Nam - My second spray from the house. I have been craving Hainan/ Chinese Oud recently but cannot bring myself to keep swiping the one oil I have in my collection for fear of running out. So I took a punt on this spray - and sure enough it is exactly the profile I was looking for. Even with my stuffy hayfever nose I can tell it will satisfy my cravings - can't wait to give it a full review when my nose clears.
 
How many of you have experienced this perfume? My first and favorite ALD by far. I understand one of his newer releases is similar, I forget the name.

[Ouddict.com] Perfume of the Day
 
tuberose - elixir attar - indolic soliflaire that is very spring, just the one linear note which i don’t care for often but it is a unique experience of a fully fleshed out flower

fougere l ‘aube - rogue perfumery- absolute bomb of an 80s fougere, tons of oakmoss, boozy fern galbanum and citrus, super well composed

elixir attar - mythique - boozy chocolate dessert excess, very indulgent

normally i try to wear to similar category smells to compare and contrast but these are totally all over the place. a strange experiment and i think mythique is the most nuclear even though i only put a dot on
 
Laurent Smal - Rider on the Stars (sample)

This is a beauty of a fragrance. I would expect nothing less from Laurent Smal. One of Henry Jacques perfumers and son-in-law.

It opens slightly citrusy and has a strong grapefruit note with some ambergris creaminess. Yet, it’s so light and airy. Then you get the notes of fresh lavender and Bulgarian rose. I’m also getting the wood and vetiver. All atop a base of patchouli and sandalwood. Absolutely amazing!
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Perfume of the Day
    IMG_2608.webp
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
  • [Ouddict.com] Perfume of the Day
    IMG_2609.webp
    70.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
How many of you have experienced this perfume? My first and favorite ALD by far. I understand one of his newer releases is similar, I forget the name.

View attachment 54596
I have Malik al Taif in my vault. Unopened. I don’t know what I’m reserving it for. lol.

I bought it along with a now-gone box of samplers of that ALD batch release so I know how precious it is for me. Maybe, I’ll sneak and open the box to reacquaint myself with its sea of roses …
 
Laurent Smal - Dear Musc (sample)

This is an absolutely stunning perfume. It starts out with both animalic musk and powdery musk. It’s sweet and floral. The damask rose and Indian sandalwood provide a powdery, floral and very creamy middle note. I’m picking up vanilla and the tonka bean also at the outset from the vanilla and tonka bean absolutes. This is really a treat and I would like to thank the fella who sent me these samples as I was buying Henry Jacques 1/4 tolas from him but he’s not on this forum unfortunately.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Perfume of the Day
    IMG_2610.webp
    71.2 KB · Views: 0
Hunayn - Rosa Ataraxis IV: Gold Rose

Got a couple perfumes from Hunayn, first time trying anything from them. Jammy orange and rose, simple and enjoyable fruity-floral summer fragrance. Also the packaging and bottles are freaking beautiful 😍
I have a sample of one of the Ataraxis rose iterations - a very interesting and full rose aroma for sure, very much a Rose perfume as opposed to a simple rose oil aroma, but not "perfumey" in the sense that it wasn't muddled with non-rose elements. Just a skillful interpretation of the aroma of roses that I found enjoyable. I did not wear it enough to study the transitions or dry down but the opening and mid tones were very nice I imagine the unfolding would be delicate and very enjoyable.
 
Hunayn - Rosa Ataraxis IV: Gold Rose

Got a couple perfumes from Hunayn, first time trying anything from them. Jammy orange and rose, simple and enjoyable fruity-floral summer fragrance. Also the packaging and bottles are freaking beautiful 😍
The only Hunayn I have is Silk Dunes, and it's divine. But lately there's been a craze for Hunayn ever since they released Jade of Chama.
 
SOL Saad Oud Works - Oud Chypre

This is a new vendor.

Initially this gave me vibes of Aroha Kyaku from EO. I was trying to find the association and that came to me. Smoky, full-bodied, and mysterious.

In terms of the quality of this perfume, it’s really high. It’s much more wearable than Aroha Kyaku, and I pick up the bergamot and frankincense from the top. The ouds feel dark and like roasted coffee. The vetiver provides a bitter cushion for all the ingredients. The musk, civet, and castoreum provide a nice leather-like scent. The Oakmoss is slightly muted but present. There is a slight beautiful rose scent coming off it too.

Overall, this smells like an EO Parfum that’s well executed. I love it and its chyperical attributes. Can’t wait to try SOL‘s other creation Oud et Rose Épicée tomorrow.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Perfume of the Day
    IMG_2066.webp
    116.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
SOL Saad Oud Works - Oud et Rose Épicée

This has a light and airy rose scent. Kind of like an ultra dry rose wine from a region that produces low quantities of it. There’s a cornucopia of roses in this mix. But you know what makes this unique? Is the Madinah Mint as one of the top notes. It provides this cool and fresh unique take that plays off the rose beautifully, and I haven’t seen this mix before. So kudos on isolating that combination.

Again, I’m picking up an airline seat scent as if I’m about to get ready for take off. Although the base indicates many musks being utilized I can’t isolate one particular musk. All of them play an integral part of forming the base. I’m picking up the saltiness of the ambergris which is lovely. Like a fine perfume should be, it is evolving and revealing subtle notes that are initially hidden and need time to develop as it comes into play with the body heat.

What do I prefer more? Oud Chypre or this? I would say Oud Chypre appealed to me more. But this one is still apt for when I feel like going on a unique journey in my mind through a vineyard or through mint farms.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Perfume of the Day
    IMG_2065.webp
    70.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have a sample of one of the Ataraxis rose iterations - a very interesting and full rose aroma for sure, very much a Rose perfume as opposed to a simple rose oil aroma, but not "perfumey" in the sense that it wasn't muddled with non-rose elements. Just a skillful interpretation of the aroma of roses that I found enjoyable. I did not wear it enough to study the transitions or dry down but the opening and mid tones were very nice I imagine the unfolding would be delicate and very enjoyable.
The previous iterations seem to be totally different, but your description is still accurate. Honeyed rose and citrus are the focus, while the other notes ground and complement that pairing. I haven’t experienced rose like this in any of the other perfumes or attars I own, so it’s a refreshing take.
 
Back
Top