Rose de Mai Absolute Grasse France from lgbotanicals. This is a delight. How rose should actually be.
It smells exactly like my nose buried in a fresh rose. The smell of Petals. Not cloying, not citrusy but a delicate red smell of roses.
From the dipstick I get slightly gourmand mango peel like nuances absolutely delicious to smell from the dipstick.
On the skin it opens beautifully addictive fresh rose petals. After some time I get black tea nuances for quite some time and then really amazing roses with musk and slight hay in the backdrop it truly fulfilling to the senses.

Got Rose Maroc as well which is a rose centifolia from morocco. There is a day and night difference between the Grasse grown and Morocco grown centifolia. After you smell Rose de mai from Grasse, I don't want to smell the Rose Maroc at all.
 
Oudique - SQ Melange

Insanely good and a steal at the price! Sweet but not cloying, rich but not dense or overpowering at all. Sweet fruity floral that becomes resinous and slightly musky over the course of the wear. You definitely get wafts of the honeyed rum mixing with the fruits and florals, and it gives off a strong boozy vibe. People talk about blue/green/purple fragrances, and sometimes I struggle to see the associations. However, SQ melange definitely has a color to me, I associate it with the yellow-orange-pink of a sunset on a clear summer day with a cool breeze. Beautiful summer fragrance that feels really relaxing and rewarding to wear!
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Perfume of the Day
    IMG_4227.webp
    151.2 KB · Views: 0
Trying out feeloud’s Oud De Grand again today along with a swipe of zamarad3. I wasnt in love with it at first, but Z3 really helped me appreciated it a bit more. Really enjoyable jasmine grandi scent (when i usually am more partial to sambac) that is very minimal in its composition. Its a warm sunny day today and this combo really works well together
[Ouddict.com] Perfume of the Day
 
Bad Harqan - Taif Rose, Edition II

Popular during the warmer months, Taif Rose is harvested between March to April. This Parfum showcases the beauty of roses that captures the clean and calm nature of roses grown in high-altitude and picked with care.

It starts off with a strong but lovely waft of vegetal and grassy greens. The vetiver base is sudden, and pleasant. Then notes of fig leaf, and a slight berry accent make their appearance. This parfum it's in a class of its own with its delicate jammyness and soft scent of petals captured in bottled form. Very beautiful.

[Ouddict.com] Perfume of the Day
 
Trying out feeloud’s Oud De Grand again today along with a swipe of zamarad3. I wasnt in love with it at first, but Z3 really helped me appreciated it a bit more. Really enjoyable jasmine grandi scent (when i usually am more partial to sambac) that is very minimal in its composition. Its a warm sunny day today and this combo really works well together
View attachment 56068
I really like Feel Good’s Sunrise 7 Sunset. Not sure why….my taste would suggest I’d go for the balsam first, but always found it lacking. Maybe I too should find something to swipe SetS with something.
 
Today is Strangelovenyc’s Fall into Stars. I can definitely smell the oud, it’s not just a supporting role, and it’s also filled with a bunch of citrus and a find of singular floral (though I doubt they used just one, that’s what I smell). This smells very similiar to rosewood, so it has so fresh rose notes to it and some not-quite obvious woody note, but since Brazilian rosewood, at least, is under Appendix I of CITIES, as opposed to appendix II for agarwood, I suspect, not know, that it’s either another specieis of rosewood, there are lots, or a natural-identical Brazilian rosewood. Not sure why it’s under CITIES, perhaps too many ,musical n treatments throughout the centuries and furniture, but whatever, would sad to see it go.
 
Rose de mai Grasse France from Fraterworks.
Not so much impressed. The price is too high for the quality it imparts.
Comparatively an 80% cheaper alternative Rose Centifolia Tunisia from Fraterworks is amazing with 90 to 95% overlap with Grasse counterpart.
I wonder if anyone has spent $750 or whatever it was for a gram of the Grasse jasmin and can break down what they're smelling a bit?

I have two old samples, one absolute from concrete and one absolute from enfleurage. Always wondered how typical they were…
 
Henry Jacques - Oudh Imperial (decant)

This is the best oud-based perfume I've tried and nothing else comes close. I've tried Onction which has Oud and I haven't tried their Oud Supreme. But this one just hits all the spots for me. It has Oud as the top scent, then geranium and leather as the middle notes, and amber, vanilla, and patchouli as the base notes. It has strong sillage and projection. Lasts long on the skin and clothes. It was my first HJ and I always plan to have a supply of it.
Would you mind sharing where to buy a decant of this spray? I’m looking for this exact one as I loved it on the blotter from HJ
 
Would you mind sharing where to buy a decant of this spray? I’m looking for this exact one as I loved it on the blotter from HJ
I bought my Decants from a seller on Etsy. She had 600 ml… I bought like 5 or 6 10ml Decants then she said she sold the rest. I cannot find any Decants elsewhere of HJ Oudh Imperial. But you can find other Decants at Loja Store (based in Abu Dhabi). They have an app.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Joe
Wearing Last Saffron (formulated by French Armenian perfumer Floiran Gallo for Korean brand Pesade) again today, i really love this one and am looking forward to a full bottle purchase in the future. I got a sample from this years ScentFestSF, its a gorgeous saffron vanilla, that is bright, airy, amber-woody and powdery. The other top and heart notes like red berry, apple, rose and jasmine are really playing a supporting role in what I see as a saffron accord. They don’t really stand out on their own, but prop up the saffron away from its typically sharp, screechy, metallic or bitter leatheriness directions, and into a sweet, fruity quality, but not overly so and not in a juicy way, which feels refreshing and youthful. The base notes of cedar, tonka, amber and musk similarly support the vanilla into a dry, woody, warm cozy vanilla accord, as opposed to a sweet, dark or gourmand kind of way. Its a pleasantly linear scent, focusing solely on the relationship between saffron and vanilla, which is a combo I adore and it reminds me of another fave of mine Zaref Atool; a saffron vanilla and lavender oud scent. I paired it with one of my fave daily ouds, a wild thai oud from Khao Yai by my friend Safinity and they both got along really well together, quite perfect actually.
[Ouddict.com] Perfume of the Day
 
Wearing Last Saffron (formulated by French Armenian perfumer Floiran Gallo for Korean brand Pesade) again today, i really love this one and am looking forward to a full bottle purchase in the future. I got a sample from this years ScentFestSF, its a gorgeous saffron vanilla, that is bright, airy, amber-woody and powdery. The other top and heart notes like red berry, apple, rose and jasmine are really playing a supporting role in what I see as a saffron accord. They don’t really stand out on their own, but prop up the saffron away from its typically sharp, screechy, metallic or bitter leatheriness directions, and into a sweet, fruity quality, but not overly so and not in a juicy way, which feels refreshing and youthful. The base notes of cedar, tonka, amber and musk similarly support the vanilla into a dry, woody, warm cozy vanilla accord, as opposed to a sweet, dark or gourmand kind of way. Its a pleasantly linear scent, focusing solely on the relationship between saffron and vanilla, which is a combo I adore and it reminds me of another fave of mine Zaref Atool; a saffron vanilla and lavender oud scent. I paired it with one of my fave daily ouds, a wild thai oud from Khao Yai by my friend Safinity and they both got along really well together, quite perfect actually. View attachment 56095
ScentFestSF in nearby Fort Mason fell off my radar. It must have been fun. Oh, next time …
 
Oudique - SQ Melange

Insanely good and a steal at the price! Sweet but not cloying, rich but not dense or overpowering at all. Sweet fruity floral that becomes resinous and slightly musky over the course of the wear. You definitely get wafts of the honeyed rum mixing with the fruits and florals, and it gives off a strong boozy vibe. People talk about blue/green/purple fragrances, and sometimes I struggle to see the associations. However, SQ melange definitely has a color to me, I associate it with the yellow-orange-pink of a sunset on a clear summer day with a cool breeze. Beautiful summer fragrance that feels really relaxing and rewarding to wear!
Thanks for the great review.
 
I wonder if anyone has spent $750 or whatever it was for a gram of the Grasse jasmin and can break down what they're smelling a bit?

I have two old samples, one absolute from concrete and one absolute from enfleurage. Always wondered how typical they were…
HA~ ridiculous! A GRAM?!
 
Rose de mai Grasse France from Fraterworks.
Not so much impressed. The price is too high for the quality it imparts.
Comparatively an 80% cheaper alternative Rose Centifolia Tunisia from Fraterworks is amazing with 90 to 95% overlap with Grasse counterpart.
Grasse is mostly name, and history, there are alternatives or should I say more better produce across the globe, with better scent profiles and quality at a much more reasonable price. AND the growers benefit.
 
Perfume of the day for me is a distilled cologne I made a bit over a month ago with locally harvested wild green Zanthoxylem peppercorns. Now that it's had a chance to lose the still notes, I'm applying a spritz or two every day to try to develop a better understanding of whether anything special came out of the combination. This is an easy perfume type to test out because it's short lasting so it's never oppressive to have to test it a couple of times a day. Mostly composed of citrus rind and citrus blossom along with other volatile oils; added a little bit of orris and clary absolute to it to at least leave a little trace of something interesting on the skinafter all of the volatile stuff blows away.

Smell seems quite pleasant, I enjoy traditional eau de cologne and I enjoy making them... it's good to have a very light fresh citrus blossom type fragrance for when you want an alternative to heavy enduring things.
 
Back
Top