Sproaty

Sproudy
Staff member
Al Hindi Oud - Yunnan & the unreleased sample.

A very clean Yunnan oil, nothing cheesy here in its opening. Very nice, a tiny bit fruity. Am really liking this.

Unreleased sample is very peculiar, like most people in the thread regarding it, I am struggling to pinpoint where it could be from. It smells Malaysian at first, but then shifted quickly to another aroma that I couldn't identify regionally. Now (4hrs after application) it is rather quiet and subdued, not a heavy oil by any means. Enjoyable ride for sure!
(edit: I have a feeling it may reappear once I go for a walk during my lunch break in an hour or so - happened to me yesterday with an oil I thought I couldn't smell)
(edit 2: Yup, went for a walk and the Yunnan came back to life, this unreleased sample didn't though. Well, it's there but barely perceptible)

I've worn a lot of oud lately and wanted to do some thoughts on them but am usually at work when writing these and don't want to draw too much (it's unusual that I type for a while, despite being a programmer) 🤣

Last edited:

OudForm

Oud Fanatic
AlHindOud - Hindi Gold 2022

I recently purchased the AlHind sampler set and this was one of the oils included. I'll be posting a full review of that set soon. This oil was by far my favorite of the group. Pretty much every new gen hindi agallocha oil I've tried has been enjoyable and this is no exception. Its sweet, has some florals and some darker notes and then that wonderful agallocha drydown that is just so nice. I very rarely purchase full grams of oud but this is one I wanted some more of. I have to say Mohammed is my favorite vendor here. You get great oils at a great price from someone who is humble, sends out their orders quick, answers all my questions and even distills his own oils. What more could one ask for?
I’ve had the opportunity to try Hindi Gold myself. Beyond words!

Obada

True Ouddict
Koh Kong Imperiale - Imperial Oud
Most delicious oil I tried so far. It starts with a sweet red and milky scent. After a few times of inhaling I had the strawberry milk candies I used to love as a kid in mind (Google Strawberry Cremo). Best Candies ever! It has also some light medicinal touch.
It continues to get more and more oudy but still sweet and delicious. This would be my daily signature oud if it would be still available 😭

Last edited:

Sproaty

Sproudy
Staff member
OK here I go, working through a backlog of a few days' of oils. I use this thread to post mini reviews, as I feel like even with 5 1/2 years experience of oud and attar wearing, that I'm still rubbish at conveying scent profiles, so mini writeups are my thing, instead of full reviews. Let's see....

@RisingPhoenix
Musk Rose Attar (yea, not an oud but cba to post in a different thread) - new batch. The old sample I had was from 2018. Difference in colour - this new one is green, and that shines through in the smell. It's as if it's not as rose-forward as before, there is a green earthiness that is more prominent. I mean, the rose is still there but not jumping out as much as before. I like the vibe this gives it. Absolutely beautiful attar.

Haflong Afterburner - oh wow. Smelling this from the cap, I was a bit taken aback. I've only tried one other Haflong oil (besides the Haflong Qinam by RPP - a recent buy [which is amazing]) and that was by Agarwood Assam (now Ahom Oud) - possibly the most animalic, fecal, barn oil I've ever experienced. I didn't own it for long and quickly sold it, it was way too much to wear. I wonder how it is now.
Anyway, I digress. Haflong Afterburner, when smelling it from the dipstick made me recall that oil eeevvveerrr so slightly, and I was couldn't help but think "oh no". Oh no indeed, this smells nothing like that - thankfully. A tiny bit of barn purrs off yours skin upon first swipe, and very quickly recedes. It's a golden hue, very new-age Hindi but there is a glimse of older-style Hindis lurking in the background, but only ever just. Drydown was similar to the Qinam but that's operating on another level in terms of (perceived) quality - hard to put the difference into words

Bija II. I'm fortunate to own a decent amount of Bija 1 and bought this out of pure curiosity to see how they compare. I don't even think I put the equivalent of 1/8th of a swipe on - I just dipped a plastic toothpick into the very top of the vial where the oil had previously touched during transport (having been kept upright since) and then swiped that. That was enough - so even 0.1g of this will last a long time. It's strong, poweful. Similar to the IO Hainan Ultima (down below), I suppose. Basically, an out of this world smell.
How's it compare to the original? Honestly...I don't know. It certainly smells alike. Just amazing.

Kakawit - WTF, this is a Filipino oil?! Could've sworn it was a Hindi! JK's writeup on this is spot on, except ...on me, I didn't get any kind of Filipino vibe from it, not even hours into the wear. I've only tried a few Fili oils so my experience there is limited, but the ones I tried had a common shared profile which I couldn;t pick up in here. A very clean, new-age Hindi type aroma to me that remained fairly constant across my skin. Good performance with this one, exceptionally enjoyable. I went for a walk several hours into my wearing (being inside, in an office), being outside brought the scent back alive to full force and I was smelling the back of my hand a lot during this short walk.

Krishnai Char - Smelling from the applicator gave a very alcoholy type of smell which I didn't then pick up on during the wearing. This is an old school oil but void of any funk, but just deep, dark and resinous. Rich in profile, very long lasting and strong. I thoroughly enjoyed!

In summary: I've tried several new oils from JK and all have exceeded all expectations. I think I have one more that I bought that I've yet to try, and also several samples to work through too.

Imperial Oud
Hainan Ultima - I have to be careful with this one. It leaked like crazy during transit (private seller), and it seems the oil is leaking upwards out of the bottle, and has coated the threads of the bottle and is inside the cap. I didn't even swipe this but rubbed the top of the bottle / cap rim and base of the applicator onto my hand. Sinensis heaven right here. It's bright, fizzy, smooth, alive, honeyed, sweet, explodes into your nostrills. Golden brown. Incredibly addictive, worthy of the name Ultima indeed. @Faizal_p should organise a group buy for this, too 😅

Yunan Imperiale - another stunner. It was hard to apply as the oil in my sample vial (which must be 4-5yrs old) was dripping down the bottle at 0.0005mph when turned upside down and needed me to rub it in between my fingers to generate some heat to become viscous. Ever so slight barn at first swipe, but nowhere near what you get from the Yunnan Vintage. Another beautiful profile, golden, yellow, vivid and absolutely stunning.

Mellifluence
Hainan - absolutely great value here. Reminds me of Imperial Oud's Fragrant Harbour Supreme - one that I regretfully sold. Wish I'd kept that. Peanuts is what comes to mind, but there's much more to it. That peanut smell fades quickly and that sinensis profile kicks in. It's interesting, this is a great oil but after the absolute powerhouses above you can tell that this is operating on several levels below them. I wore this late at night while in bed to read, so I didn't have it on for too long before sleeping, and when I woke up I couldn't detect it any more (I think it always rubs off onto my duvet)

Tabeer Oud
Sultan Saladin - oh my. Wore this to Tai Chi tonight. I'm bald, I have alopecia therefore don't grow hair. My legs are smooth and are the envy of all women I meet. However I've decided not to shave my chin for a few weeks and have the most hilarious "beard" in place, which I'm sorta trolling myself by keeping it, as it really does look stupid. Anyway, my point here is that I swiped this oil onto this so-called beard, and for 4hrs I have been blasted with an amazing Hindi new-age oil. Rich and luxurious, this is a Kalakassi oil. I'm sounding like a repeating record here but golden smooth, no barn, just very blissful and meditative (which is what I was doing! wehey!)

Okay so the writeups are kinda similar but there was a lot of overlap in the profiles of these oils that I've worn recently. Need to mix it up a bit.

Also I REALLY enjoyed the experience of having oil close to my nose and being surrounded by the scent instead of swiping the back of my hand. I need to start wearing oils properly! I've got grams and grams of oil, I better start to actually use it to scent myself with it.
I'm always wearing sprays so oud oils seem more of an afterthought / curiosity as opposed to a full experience.

ok this may be my longest post to date. Time for bed! I probably missed some oils.

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
Rising Phoenix "Naganchi 2019"
I ike this oil so much that I bought a tola
JK's nose is a national treasure
Joking aside - I really appreciate that!

Just wait till ya see what’s coming down the pipeline. Quite a few irons in the fire, working on some really insane projects - several of which are Year+ in the making - not to mention what’s already here and just awaiting going up in the shop.

You’ve been kicking a$$ over there, yourself !

zeedubbya

True Ouddict
Ok decided to go on an @RisingPhoenix adventure this eve, inspired by @Sproaty

Bija Hainan 99 is one of the best oils ever made-it’s a top 1-3 for sure… I don’t know how I was lucky enough to get 1/2 Tola of it… Playboy Sultan is probably the best Brunei oil ever made—it’s clearly different but similar to Borneo that it convinces me it’s a new gen gem, an awesome experience. Thai Blue Lotus Attar is probably the best Attar ever made…. JK Delapp is a great person who deserves more credit.

I’ve been to his Cabin and atelier. It’s a jaw dropping place-his stuff is THE REAL DEAL.

It’s that simple for tonight. This year I vow to support him more, and also to get something out to him (between us) I promised a long time ago…. I have bad friended him some and I feel bad about it… and it’s probably the 3 oils swiped making me a bit “nostalgaguilty” but I mean this. He deserves our support, admiration and attention. 🫡 friend! You’re a legend among us!

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Also I REALLY enjoyed the experience of having oil close to my nose and being surrounded by the scent instead of swiping the back of my hand.
Great! I wear Sandal and Sandal Musk on moustache, and the scent really clutches all brain cells and olfactory. The less is more here. A dab is enough to experience and live oils.

Musk Rose Attar
Is it the old one? The old one was an amazing fragrance indeed.

Hainan Ultima
It is still Ultima and Royale. That Ultima lot by IO was more than superb.

Sultan Saladin
The way its fragrance blooms when one dresses it is phenomenal. Thick gold liquid, oudy fumes and free from skank and barn. Kalakassi by Tabeer and then Kalakassi by Craft Oud, both are concrete evidence of Kalakassi's being different, unique and novel. (Tabeer Oud had distilled Nagaland Kalakassi lately. Let's see how it turns out to be.)

Your write-ups are spontaneous, expressive and innocent. Love them

Last edited:

Sproaty

Sproudy
Staff member
Thank you @Rai Munir :)
I also forgot about another oil, Super Hoi An by Imperial Oud,

I searched a sample of this after reading @Mr.P always speaking so highly of this, and I really respect his taste and write-ups. This is a fantastic oil, musky, murky, tiniest hint of animalics lurking in the background. Not clean but not too dirty, a little drab even (but not in a bad way!). It's a complex and shifting oil.

Regarding Musk Rose Attar - I'm talking about the new batch, and I was comparing it a little to the old one. This seems more green forward - both in the colour of the oil and in the smell I get from it.

Last edited:

Mr.P

oud<3er
Thank you @Rai Munir :)
I also forgot about another oil, Super Hoi An by Imperial Oud,

I searched a sample of this after reading @Mr.P always speaking so highly of this, and I really respect his taste and write-ups. This is a fantastic oil, musky, murky, tiniest hint of animalics lurking in the background. Not clean but not too dirty, a little drab even (but not in a bad way!). It's a complex and shifting oil.

Regarding Musk Rose Attar - I'm talking about the new batch, and I was comparing it a little to the old one. This seems more green forward - both in the colour of the oil and in the smell I get from it.
Hell yes, super hoi an. I will trade old oriscent oils for some if anyone has it. Thanks for the kind words as well.

Sproaty

Sproudy
Staff member
You're very welcome!

This afternoon/evening I wore Habz' new oil - Tipu Sultan. This release was very serendipitous - it was only Tuesday afternoon that I took a walk during work and was sniffing the ouds I'd applied earlier in the morning, and was wondering when Habz' next release was. Well, during work yesterday, I check the recent posts on ouddict - and what's there? Habz announcing a new oil.

I messaged him immediately, and ordered myself 1g. It showed up this afternoon.
I'd already applied 2 attars to my hands, so put on a small swipe at the bottom of the back of my hand, and as I left work to go ride my bike for an hour before Kung Fu, I swiped a good amount on my chin, too.

Enough waffling - how's it smell? Now, I'm not one to disagree with Habz, but he calls this more 'old school' Hindi - whereas to me this seemed very much aligned with the new gen style. Bright, ethereal, very clean, golden resinous polleny and sweet. Good longevity of this, I kept catching wafts coming from my hand and chin during the bike ride - no barn to my nose here. Needs further wearings and testings of course, but colour me impressed from my first try of it! I can still smell it ~7hrs after applying on my hand, but just faintly and am getting a leathered. This is after a very sweaty bike ride, it was very hot here this evening, I arrived at class pressing my helmet into my head, with sweat just pouring out of the padding inside. ugh. 😅. my point being - it survived the heat!